We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist (manager) – Operations to own the algorithm roadmap, its connection to the shipper/carrier journey, and execution of our development practices across the data science department. As North Americas largest 3PL, our ecosystem of data science microservices touches billions of dollars of freight per annum through a diverse range of internal and external products, all powered by core data science models. As the leader of data science operations, you will be responsible for holistically shaping the evolution of our micro-services/capabilities ecosystem to deliver a winning digital experience.
The successful candidate will be adept at combining creative technical thinking with a solid agile execution framework that aligns program elements to the desired shipper/carrier journey. Understanding product use cases, how those align to form our digital value proposition, and translating those elements to a work plan executed by algorithm capability teams are key job accountabilities. Additionally, a high degree of ownership over End-to-End outcomes and quality of operations is a must have, which critically depends upon the ability of this leader to be a steward of:
- Agile Practices – establish and govern agile practices that ensure collaboration, an innovative empowered environment, and a clear aligned mission with digestable tactical work plans.
- Roadmap Alignment & Communication – Understand the top level shipper/carrier journey and the products that are being developed to deliver the value proposition and work iteratively with the data science team/capability leaders to create and aligned algorithm roadmap and execution plan.
- Resource leveling and Benefit Quantification – Be able to represent product benefits/ROI to the organization of the comprehensive data science program and be the voice of justification for resource planning, sequencing, and talent acquisition.
- Operational Execution & Quality – Oversee the execution of our products in terms of ensuring delivery of key functionality and that outcomes are being measured and monitored for operational performance.
- Managing Upwards in a Matrix Leadership Environment – Manage expectations and timing across multiple stakeholders and educate on use cases/application.
- Lead/Manage/Own the agile planning and execution processes for the data science department
- Represent/Own the algorithm roadmap for the data science ecosystem and how it relates to the company-wide products being developed and the shipper/carrier journey.
- Manage/Track the operational outcomes/benefit of the holistic collection of data science products
- Facilitate department planning to focus strategic inputs from executive sponsors and science leadership into execution plans
- Be an agent of change and advocate for continual improvement in the way we innovate/design/develop/deploy products to market.
- Graduate Degree in Computer Science, Business, Statistics, or Quantitative field
- Experience in a leadership role owning product development strategy/execution outcomes
- Experience with software development and scripting languages
- Experience with modeling and algorithm development/research
- Analytically proficient – Able to source data and graphically present program outcomes/opportunities
- Familiarity with data fundamentals including SQL
- PhD in Computer Science, Business, Statistics, or Quantitative field
- Experience with high performance computing and big data modeling
- Demonstrated experience leading program level strategy and execution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Values a diverse and inclusive work environment
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
C.H. Robinson is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe in equality for all and celebrate the diversity of our employees, customers and communities. We believe this increases creativity and innovation, drives business growth and enables engaged and thriving teams. We’re committed to providing an inclusive environment, free from harassment and discrimination, where all employees feel welcomed, valued and respected.
Affirmative Action Employer/EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran
We are proud to offer a top-tier benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, prescription drug coverage, paid parental leave, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO), 401K, employee stock purchase plan, as well as a broad range of career development opportunities.
About C.H. Robinson
From the produce you buy, to the water you drink, C.H. Robinson delivers products to people all around the globe. We are one of the world’s largest 3rd party logistic providers. Join our diverse team to innovate, solve problems, have fun and thrive.