WarnerMedia is a powerful portfolio of iconic entertainment, news, and sports brands. We bring people, technology, and the world’s best storytellers together to drive culture and meaningful connection. We believe the enduring power of stories can open our eyes to the world, to each other, and to new and different perspectives.
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Join us. Shape your story here.
The Sr. Data Scientist is responsible for helping to develop the actionable insights behind CNN’s emerging personalization, recommendation, and search strategy. This role will transform first- and third- party data into reliable quantitative insights about the internal and external performance of recommendation and search features.
Leverage our internal data platforms to quantify and identify patterns in recommendation freshness and relevance, content diversity, training candidate optimization, and user informed-ness. Should have expertise in inferential and causal statistics, preference will be given to candidates with some experience in NLP and text analytics using python or R.
- Develop, maintain, and continuously improve the automation behind diagnosing the performance of recommendation engines and search, with an eye toward empowering analysts to feed to feed those calculations to dashboards.
- The ability to break down quantitative historic and experiment findings into meaningful insights and develop recommendations that lead to informed decision-making.
- Partner closely with and serve as a statistics and evaluation expert for personalization and search engineers.
- Participate in answering ad hoc project and data requests from various business units and organizations about the impact and performance of personalization and search.
- Design and build reports and/or dashboards that clearly communicate quantitative analyses of consumption patterns and content relationships.
- Build clear documentation around ad hoc analyses, methodology, and data definitions for raw and munged data.
- Collaborate with both the data organization and its technology partners to identify opportunities for new data products.
5+ years' experience working on or with cross-functional analytics teams
- 3+ years data science experience querying databases (SQL), leveraging a scripting language (R/Python) to analyze data at scale, and deploying/automating/monitoring calculations
- Domain knowledge of personalization and/or search products, including demonstrated ability to form questions and design measurement heuristics
- A quick learner can work independently in a matrixed environment, adaptability, and a strong self-teaching ethic
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and agile environment that can pivot quickly to capture opportunities from the users and business's changing needs.
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal (ability to influence without hierarchy) and communication skills
- Academic background in quantitative field such as business, marketing, behavioral science, or applied math a plus
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.