- Master's degree in a highly quantitative field (Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Machine Learning, Applied Mathematics, Statistics) or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience developing quantitative models to solve complex problems and/or simulation experience.
Who are we?
Are you interested in creating the future of e-com shipping? Do you want to be a part of team building the next $1bn initiative? Our team is changing the way we interact with customers around the globe and building a new, emerging business in shipping to solve some of the biggest logistical opportunities facing not just Amazon, but the entire industry.
What will you do?
Amazon Shipping is investing heavily in an imbedded science team that works closely with senior business leaders to drive strategic insight and change. This role will focus on Thinking Big to help define the 3+ year future of our simulation tools, from evaluation, to supporting strategic content creation, to vending simulated results to downstream systems such as pricing. In addition, you will take on our most challenging questions and use the laboratory you will design to generate foundationally disruptive ideas. You should be comfortable simultaneously getting your hands dirty and getting deep with the team while also looking up and out to envisage how multiple components fit together seamlessly to drive improvements across our major goals (a vision that we'll execute against with our internal software team). This is a great opportunity to join an entrepreneurial business that is growing at an incredible pace. We have early stage v1 products and need your leadership and influence to grow and foster our simulation capabilities into a core decision analytics product suite.
You will have a true hands-on approach, operational inclination, solid leadership skills and the ability to build and leverage relationships across a wide stakeholder group to generate creative solutions to industry level strategic problems. As this position involves regular interaction with senior leadership, you need to be comfortable communicating robustly at that level while also working directly with various functional teams and people at all levels of the organization across the Amazon business.
The ideal candidate is analytical, resourceful, customer-focused and team oriented, with clear communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders. They are highly autonomous and have a proven track record of taking on end-to-end ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment.The role’s key responsibilities will include:
- Getting deep in our current early stage product by running simulations and presenting strategic insight to senior leaders. Evolving from a manager-led content roadmap to a self-driven approach to finding the highest ROI items for the business to execute against.
- Working with leaders across the product, program, and tech org in an advisor capacity to execute against the insights you've generated, whether they be in forecasting, route optimization, supply side economics, labor management, etc. or launching a brand new business opportunity.
- Defining the vision for the 6, 12, 24 month roadmap for the simulation space based on your experience and collaboration with others reliant on the data we're able to generate.
- Collaborating with scientific peers internally to uplevel thinking across our entire ecosystem, as well as externally to stay fresh and up to date on the latest techniques.
- Once ready, branching out into other areas of our larger organization to help them drive strategic change.
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: Discrete Event Simulation, Linear Programming, Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision.
- Strong coding skills in C++, Python or any other scripting languages
Experienced in handling large data sets using SQL/Python in a business environment.
- PhD/Master’s degree in Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics or related quantitative field with 10+ years of work experience.
- Experience in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
- Hypothesis testing (including statistical hypothesis testing) and experimental design.
- Experience designing and implementing optimization models in for inventory, networks and other characteristics of supply-chain systems (e.g., staff scheduling, vehicle routing, and facility location).
- Java experience a plus.
If you are currently enrolled in or have graduated from a Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D program in the past 6 months, your background aligns more closely with our Student Programs openings. To learn more about our Student Programs and search for internships and full-time opportunities please visit this site: www.amazon.jobs/en/business_categories/student-programs
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age