Job Title: Customer Support Data Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Manager, Data Science
GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PURPOSE:
The Customer Support Data Engineer is responsible for supporting the Aurora suite of projects by creating, analyzing, uploading, and troubleshooting errors of various data reports for our customers. This position is also responsible for maintaining contact with customers in order to process special requests and updating customers on the processing of their data & reports. You will be responsible for conducting custom data verifications to ensure the highest level of quality standards are maintained and driving quality improvement initiatives. You will be creating automated tools using advanced MS Excel formulas and at least 1 scripting language in order to drive efficiencies in the analysis and reporting of customer data. You will be required to travel to customer track sites with short notice to verify results and drive improvements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Accountability and Responsibility
- Act as the direct contact for customers regarding on-track audits, perform special customer requests (such as reprocessing past data), expedite customer requests through multi-tasking, and deliver reports/data to customers according to their schedule.
- Use proprietary software, Aurora, to generate reports from large data files.
- Ability to perform database management and identify data or process problems while also checking the data for accuracy.
- Manage data files, backups, reports, and archive storage media.
- Assist with process improvements as it relates to applications and code bugs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve data quality issues through data analysis.
- Perform Ad-Hoc custom data verification of customer reports using advanced MS Excel formulas and/or another scripting language such as Python, VB, VBA, R, or other.
- Perform weekly written progress reports to Director Data Analytics.
- Communicate effectively with all internal and external stakeholders.
- High-Impact Communication
Education: BS degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, IS, or equivalent.
- 4+ years:
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Access),
- 3+ years:
- Performing basic Stats/Algebraic math and data or numerical computations
- SQL, advanced MS Excel formulas (regular & array), PIVOT tables, v-lookups, one scripting language of (Python, VB, VBA, R, other).
- Google Earth
- Remote desktop connection
- Will be required to obtain and maintain
- Railroad Certifications and Passport
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Background in computer operations or experience with data or numerical computations.
- Strong computer skills utilizing multiple monitors, Remote Desktop Connections, Network Drives, and applications simultaneously.
- Proficiency in basic math (Statistics & Algebra) and English.
- Ability to identify erroneous numerical data patterns.
- Ability to manipulate various data filetypes (CSV, TXT, XLSX, PNG, KML, KMZ, XML, SQL, NoSQL, MongoDB)
- Ability to work with GIS information
- Basic mechanical & electrical systems knowledge.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally – including to remote areas within the US, Canada and other countries as needed
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
Education: 4-year college level course work emphasizing science, math, or technology.
- 4+ years’ experience working with advanced MS Excel array formulas data analysis and data interpretation.
- 3+ years’ experience in one scripting language of (VB, VBA, Python, R, other).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 50% travel using any method of transportation with the ability to travel domestically and internationally for up to 1 week at a time with 24-hour notice. 75% travel occasionally required.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment.
- Available to work any shifts.
- Ability and willingness to perform repetitive tasks for extended periods of time.
- Ability and motivation to work well with minimal supervision.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability and willingness to adhere to processes and instruction yet retain flexibility to adjust to required process changes.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.