Nordstrom People Analytics team focuses on using organizational research, data science, and data analysis techniques to uncover employee and organizational insights that contribute to Nordstrom’s long-term success. The Data Scientist 1 will have hands-on experience with the development of data products, from data ingestion to deployment. They will focus on creating genuine business value through the alignment of technology, data, and business interests. Example projects include helping to identify the right people to recruit, staffing workers at the right time and place, and keeping employees happy and motivated to do their very best. In this role, excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude will be crucial to effectively partnering with the aligned Technology and Data Science teams.
A day in the life…
- Lead the development of Python or R-based ML products to help find the right people to work for Nordstrom, in the right position, at the right time, and improve productivity
- Productionize data science products and deploy them to the right stakeholders for self-service
- Prototype and build data pipelines. Support configuration and management of ETL and workflow management jobs. Perform ad-hoc ingestion of data from varied sources
- Collaborate with a team of Data analysts, BI Analysts, Workforce Scientists, and Program Managers on a variety of innovative machine learning projects and analytical studies
- Partner with the broader People Analytics team and HR to ensure alignment to broader initiatives and share your point of view to improve your products
- Collaborate, share learnings, and develop one another within the People Analytics team
You own this if you have…
- Bachelors Degree in quantitative field with scientific computing, with an advanced degree (Ms or PhD) preferred
- Experience manipulating and modeling employee and staffing data, such as attrition, time punch, survey, and ambient unstructured data
- 2+ years of experience in a data-driven domain
- High proficiency in Python or R (Python preferred), with demonstrated proficiency in SQL. Additionally, experience in GIT is desirable
- Expertise in the use of statistics to understand associations, relationships, group differences, and time to events
- Experience with ML (regression, classification, forecasting) and ML workflows (cross validation, hyper parameter tuning, hold out testing)
- A strong understanding of research design and methods
- Ability to translate technical work to non-technical audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a team-oriented attitude
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2021 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.