DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
Royal DSM is a global, purpose-led, science-based company active in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living. DSM’s purpose is to create brighter lives for all. DSM addresses with its products and solutions some of the world’s biggest challenges while simultaneously creating economic, environmental and societal value for all its stakeholders – customers, employees, shareholders, and society at large. DSM delivers innovative solutions for human nutrition, animal nutrition, personal care and aroma, medical devices, green products and applications, and new mobility and connectivity. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company was founded in 1902 and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam.
More information can be found at www.dsm.com.
About the organization
The DSM Science & Innovation community is made up of creative thinkers, who thrive in fast-paced environments and continually come up with innovative solutions to meet the changing needs of our customers. Through collaborating with people in different fields and not being afraid to try new things, we innovate exciting new products, processes, and solutions. Data and knowledge-driven insights which are unlocked through digital and analytical tools and technologies are hereby key.
Our global Center for Digital Innovation (CDI) works with all of DSM’s Science and Innovation (S&I) programs in Biosciences & Process Innovation, Food & Beverages, Human Health Nutrition & Care and Animal Nutrition & Health. We bring together data and knowledge from consumer, markets, science and technology, and translate those into insights to accelerate DSM’s innovations.
As the Senior Data Architect / Data Engineer, you shape our data strategy from a technical point of view, you drive implementation, and you promote best practices regarding FAIR data across the organization, to leverage our nutrition research data and gain valuable insights from them. We perform nutritional studies in humans and farm animals in-house and with external research institutes, but we also generate a lot of data with our products in our own laboratories, e.g. in chemistry, formulation, application, biotechnology, analytics,
- Design and develop data infrastructure and systems to make our data FAIR across multiple departments, in close collaboration with stakeholders at all levels
- Advise & strategize ways of working across the organization in a variety of departments, systems, and approaches such as farm animal study database, NGS bioinformatics pipelines, AWS, Electronic Lab Notebook, LIMS, instrument software, data analysis workflows, etc.
- Advise data engineers, data scientists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, data managers, life scientists and project managers and understand how they gain relevant insights from our data
- Develop data workflows and databases in close collaboration with data owners/life scientists, data engineers and data scientists
- Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects
- Promote awareness regarding data integrity, quality, consistency, access and security
- Promote effective data workflows and data management across departments, teams, data owners, project management, and other stakeholders
- Transfer best practices and lessons learned from pioneers/early adopters to other parts of the organization
- Collaborate with cyber-security experts to prevent data breaches
- Monitor compliance with company policies and legal requirements
- Make recommendations for software, hardware and data storage upgrades together with IT
- Ten + years track record of promoting and successfully embedding Fair data infrastructure, principles, processes, and data management in an organization, including strategy, change management, training, and convincing stakeholders
- You listen effectively to the needs of technical and business stakeholders and interpret them. You manage stakeholder expectations and are flexible. You know how to manage proactive and reactive communication. You facilitate difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders.
- You communicate effectively across organizational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context. You make complex and technical information and language simple and accessible for non-technical audiences.
- You produce data models and understand where to use different types of data models. You understand different tools and can compare between different data models.
- You are familiar with modern database technologies (SQL, non-SQL, …), data models, data warehousing, ETL
- You can develop and set data standards for an organization. You can communicate the business benefit of data standards, championing and governing those standards across the organization
- You work with business and technology stakeholders to translate business problems into data designs. You create optimal designs through iterative processes, aligning user needs with organizational objectives and system requirements.
- You are familiar with cloud and cloud infrastructure (AWS, MS Azure, …)
- Programming languages: Python, R, Unix/Linux; knowledge in C++ or Java appreciated
- Ontologies (e.g. RDF, Gremlin, SPARQL, …), structures, semantic web stack, …
- Understanding of data management functions (collection, analysis, distribution etc.)
- Able to handle priorities across multiple stakeholders in different departments
- Comfortable in a lightly regulated R&D environment where Excel is widely used and where structures and processes are often fluid
- You have a pragmatic mindset and routinely consider cost/benefit aspects, data literacy and stakeholder interests when proposing more advance solutions
- Excellent organizational skills, project management skills and stakeholder management skills
- Familiarity with human clinical trials and CDISC is useful but not required
- Any familiarity with life science, pharma, clinical studies, nutrition, next generation sequencing, or analytical chemistry is an asset
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Additional language skills would be an advantage.
- Location: Europe, ideally in Kaiseraugst/Switzerland near Basel or Delft/Netherlands but working from home in these or other countries (Europe or US) could be negotiable.
- Percentage: 80-100%, with flexible working hours
- We offer a challenging job at our world-leading Center for Digital innovation, fully supporting DSM’s purpose-led, performance driven strategy.
- You will work in a company with an international reputation as sustainability leader.
- DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team performance.
- DSM’s wide diversity of disciplines makes it possible to offer employees a great variety of roles throughout their career.
- At DSM we stimulate people to determine their own career path and we encourage international careers. We strive to be an Employer of Choice and ensure that our employees are nurtured and given the opportunity to develop their talents.
To learn more about DSM’s HR vision and policy, please visit our website at www.dsm.com/careers.
Royal DSM is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Royal DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext. For more information about DSM see http://www.dsm.com or connect on
At DSM, we believe that a brighter future is built on diversity. We’re proud to offer equal employment opportunities and to be an affirmative action employer. That means that we consider applications based on how well suited you are for the role – regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status or disability.