StatsBomb is a sports analytics SaaS business that is scaling rapidly. We sell data products as well as analysis tools to sports organisations, with a tech stack that includes computer vision, machine learning, stream processing, and web-based dataviz. We currently work predominantly in football (soccer), but are currently incorporating other sports into our product range. We count many of the biggest names in football as customers, and your work will have a direct impact on our ability to deliver insights to those customers, driving success on the field and in the media space, driving fan engagement.
StatsBomb was founded in January 2017 to provide data, analytics and consultancy to football clubs, media and gambling companies. Since its inception with an initial team of 3 at the start of 2017, We currently employ over 400 employees based in the UK, US and Egypt and are continuing to grow and expand our operation. We currently process over 600 football games per week across 80 European and American leagues, with over 30 million events every day and cover more than 80 leagues globally.
StatsBomb continually undertake new research and are well known in the analytics industry for providing unique insights into the game of football. We have developed our own proprietary industry leading data collection and analytics software with a user-friendly high-vis front end. We are looking to ensure the development of the new sports products maintains the excellent track record we have in football.
About The Role
You will be joining the Data Science team working remotely with a diverse group of talented data scientists and Machine Learning engineers to research and build cutting edge models to support the Pro Services team. The Pro Services team work directly with football teams, leagues or other private entities on bespoke projects to generate custom metrics or insights tailored to the customer's requirements and needs. You will be working in an Agile environment, and you will also share best practice and insights with other product teams at StatsBomb. You will have access to industry leading senior engineers to help develop and hone your development skills as well as other leading technology disciplines such as computer vision, ML Ops and many others.
We are a fast growing company, with an incredibly full roadmap and are therefore looking for someone who is driven, self-motivated, flexible and comfortable working at a fast pace delivering new functionality on a regular basis.
As well as having the required technical skills, communication is a critical skill especially as the team will be largely remote, so sharing progress and working collaboratively online will be a vital part of the role. The working culture at StatsBomb is creative, collaborative, open, and informal whilst maintaining high standards in working ethos and coding best practice.
Essential technical skills:
- Extensive experience working with Python
- Extensive familiarity with data munging and data processing tools including Numpy and Pandas
- Advanced knowledge of statistical modeling and machine learning, with relevant experience in the use of relevant Python libraries e.g. scikit-learn, xgboost, statsmodels
- Experience generating reports, dashboards and data visualisations to explain the results and behaviour of the trained models
- Familiarity with SQL and experience working with relational databases
- Experience working with large datasets and distributed computing
- Experience working in a consultancy-like environment
- Experience matching datasets from different sources with no robust common identifier e.g. string similarity matching
- Experience and knowledge in cloud technologies like AWS
- Experience with neural networks and Bayesian statistical modeling, with associated Python libraries e.g. tensorflow, pymc3
- Strong software development skills to maintain well-tested, modular code
- A publicly accessible body of work to showcase your analytics expertise e.g. projects on GitHub, blog
- A university degree in a STEM subject or similar provable numerate and quantitative skills
- Experience solving complex analytics and modeling problems in football (soccer), with an emphasis on turning tactical concepts into robust and tractable machine learning problem formulations
- Strong familiarity with football (soccer), and an appreciation of the different tactical and strategic choices being made by teams and players at a season, match and possession levels
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Team player, self-motivated, hard-working, keen to learn
StatsBomb is an inspiring place to work. If you think you have the passion, drive and talent to join our exciting and fast paced team, we’d love to hear from you!
In return, we offer the following:
- Excellent career development opportunities
- A collaborative and diverse team environment
- The well-being of our team is of paramount importance and we offer remote and flexible working as well as well-being benefits
- Family friendly policies
- Team lunches
- Competitive salaries
- Competitive stock option package for all employees
Below are some testimonials from our colleagues...
“It is a class place to be and the people are phenomenal. I feel so lucky to spend everyday working with amazing technology, on fascinating projects, as part of the most entertaining industry in the world. StatsBomb is one of those places where the company’s focus is so exciting that you want to be a part of it...some projects are totally confidential and game changing in the industry which is thrilling to be part of. Everyday I work in collaboration with industry leaders and learn from experts pushing the boundaries of computer vision, data science and sporting analysis. I have worked in all environments from global investment banking to growing startups and the culture here is like nothing I've seen. We recruit from different cultures all around the world who feel like distant cousins - events like our conference are like a wedding party that brings everyone together!”
Chris, Senior Tech Engineer
“StatsBomb is such a fun and exciting company to work for. Working with, and learning from, diverse and intelligent colleagues in such a supportive and friendly atmosphere is amazing.”
Corinne, Project Manager
Unfortunately we are unable to respond to unsuccessful applicants.