At Chanel, we are focused on creating an inclusive culture that nurtures personal growth, contributing to collective progress. We believe the uniqueness of each individual increases the diversity, complementarity and effectiveness of our teams. We strongly encourage your application, as we value the perspective, experience and potential you could bring to CHANEL.
Specialist, Data Engineer
(on-site in New Jersey or New York only)
About The Job
CHANEL is looking for a(n) Specialist, Data Engineer to join our Business Intelligence (BI) Team . You will play a technical role in being the primary development resource servicing as lieutenant to the Data as a Service (DaaS) platform IT Manager (BI Data Architect) to support the DaaS platform for the US Region that spreads across our corporate Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Microsoft SQL Server environments. This role is a key partner who interfaces with the DaaS IT Manager, business analysts, internal service owners, front-end dashboard developers, third party data providers, and project consultants. Our ideal candidate will have 1-4 years of experience and a passion for leveraging technical mastery and a mindset that’s both curious and creative to identify opportunities and address unique technical and business challenges in a collaborative, analytical, and fast-paced environment of the Luxury Retail industry.
What impact you can create at CHANEL:
- Technical Resource – Act as a subject matter expert for the Data as a Service BI domain data pipelines, processes, and data assets. Demonstrate and execute hands-on proficiency in Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, Python based Cloud Functions, Storage) with specific experience building and maintaining data pipelines and constructing SQL based data views for analytics and visual dashboards.
- Study, understand, develop, and maintain the Data as a Service data pipelines and solutions – Collaborate with IT Manager (BI Data Architect) and review documentation materials covering the existing data pipeline solutions and analytical data assets managed within the Data as a Service domain. Continue to understand, develop, expand, and maintain data assets and processes.
- Partner with Business Analysts, Dashboard Developers, Service Owners, and Providers – Work closely with internal (NY, NJ, remote) business analysts, service owners, data providers, as well as onshore and offshore consultants to deliver accurate, scalable, and maintainable data solutions.
- Communication and Documentation – Communicate and interface effectively (in person and remotely) with the Data as a Service IT Manager, business analytics teams, and front-end dashboard developers, productively working with them throughout the project life cycles. Adhere to documentation requirements and change control best practices throughout development and production deployment phases.
- Teach – Serve as a model example of presenting concepts and use cases for Data Engineering in CHANEL’s internal Data & Analytics space, Masterclasses, Department meetings, etc. Support our internal BI Center of Excellence (BI COE) program, helping to equip the organization with the best practices, skills and techniques needed for unlocking the full value of CHANEL’s data assets as well as assisting with self-service BI.
- Strategize - Contribute towards providing inputs to assist IT Manager (BI Data Architect) with the strategic direction and evolution of the services and practices described above.
- Innovation – Be able to proactively think about ways to enhance existing solutions and/or prototyping new ones.
You are energized by…
- Building relationships and communities of analytical users at CHANEL
- Identifying opportunities and tackling complex problems prevalent in Luxury Retail
- Working in a highly collaborative, analytical, and fast-paced environment
- Coding to solve for unique technical challenges
- A space to explore curiosity and foster creativity
What You Will Bring To The Team...
- Google Cloud Platform experience required
- Experience in data acquisition (e.g., SQL, Python, Web API, SFTP, File Directories), data manipulations (e.g., JSON, XML, CSV) and structuring data using BigQuery, SQL Procedures, Scheduled Queries, Storage Buckets, Pub/Sub Topics, Cloud Functions, and Cloud Scheduling.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Firebase, and corresponding GA BigQuery data export schemas (i.e., Nested data structures in BigQuery), and implement advanced SQL coding including aggregations/partitions/window functions.
- Solid written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders.
- Understanding of data design and dimensional data modeling concepts.
- Aptitude to build and maintain local Python virtual environments, supporting local development and testing with Python IDEs (e.g., Spyder, PyCharm, etc.), and experience with using the Google Cloud SDK and Google Cloud ‘gsutil’ command in local environment is a plus.
- Exposure to Microsoft BI SQL Server Agent Job/Step scheduling architecture and Microsoft SSIS (dtsx) package development with Visual Studio is desired.
- Functional and technical experience in Advanced Analytics (e.g., BigQuery ML, Vertex AI) and Data Governance (e.g., Data Catalog, DLP) is a plus.
- Ability to contribute on projects for end-to-end delivery with minimal guidance, but also influence the business on best practices and solutions.
- 1-4 years of multidisciplinary professional experience with an emphasis on building and maintaining data pipelines in Google Cloud Platform
- Bachelor’s degree (or technical knowledge) in Information Management, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, or Analytics/Data Science is preferred.
- Comfortability to be based out of New York, NY (9 West 57th Street) or Piscataway, NJ Office + Adhere to 3-2 policy (3 days in office / 2 days remote)
What skills you will learn? What experiences might you have?
- Project Management and Communication Skills
- Relationship Building Skills
- Opportunities for visibility to senior leadership and other key partners
- Direct leader committed to technical mentorship and individual development
- Exposure to initiatives that allow learning about CHANEL brand and ways of working in the Luxury Retail industry
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $55,700 through $125,000. Base salary is one component of the total compensation for this position. Other components [may/will] include additional compensation, benefits and perks.
Chanel is a private company whose values are grounded in creating the conditions for people to perform at their best and feel fulfilled and confident in their work. We offer a unique work environment where individuals are encouraged to better understand the brand, the business, and motivations, so that together we can unlock the possibilities of growth. This is reflected in:
Diversity and Inclusion
- At CHANEL, we are intentional in promoting Diversity & Inclusion. We foster respect, empathy and dignity for all. We believe strongly that the diversity of our people across the full spectrum of human differences is essential to our organisation and the connections we have with each other and our clients.
- We offer Employee Resource Groups in the US that are voluntary, open to all, employee-led groups formed around a shared identity or lived experience, whose aim is to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community aligned with the values and missions of the communities they support.
- CHANEL Community empowers our employees to channel their passions, talents and sense of purpose to contribute to and learn from our communities.
- Employees are encouraged to take time off annually to volunteer through CHANEL Community. CHANEL also matches employee donations to select charitable organizations.
- CHANEL Mission 1.5° is our climate action plan. It is focused on transforming the business in line with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement on climate change to limit the average global mean temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels.
- Employees are encouraged to contribute to our US Sustainability efforts at the corporate level and within the divisions, through organized taskforces and initiatives.
Arts and Culture
- We are committed to extending our legacy of cultural engagement. Global support includes the CHANEL Culture Fund, which supports a select group of leading art culture institutions across the globe, and the CHANEL Next Prize for the next generation of creative talent. US support currently includes Annual sponsorship of the MoMA film program, Tribeca Film Festival programs and Through Her Lens, Support of the Academy Gold Fellowship for Women and Sponsorship of the BAAND Together Dance Festival at Lincoln Center.
Career and Leadership Development:
- We have dedicated in-house teams focused on supporting the onboarding of employees, developing leadership skills via custom programs like Imagine Chanel People, Heart of Leadership and group and individual coaching, and blended online and live classes offered on our Bloom platform and by skilled trainers, such as Shape Your Career, to develop career building skills.
- Base salary, bonus potential and other forms of variable pay [may/will be] offered for this position
Benefits And Perks
- Flexibility (flexible time and hybrid work options)
- Wellbeing resources include dedicated paid time off for wellbeing (2-week August Office Closure and Wellbeing Days in Retail) and a Wellbeing fund
- Family and care giving benefits (inclusive of parental leave, fertility support, MilkStork, and Care.com Membership)
- Generous paid time off policies to include vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer days
- 401K, pension and other incentives
- Robust healthcare offerings; medical, dental, vision, MDLIVE (virtual care), One Medical, Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care & Dependent Care), Health Savings Account and Employee Assistance Program
- Life insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Health Advocate, International Business Travel Accident & Medical, and Commuter Transit & Parking
- Chanel, Inc. benefits and perks are dependent on eligibility and subject to modification by Chanel at any time.