Job Title: Data Scientist
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a career, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
To deliver high performing machine learning models for use in fraud detection, compliance and credit risk.
What will you be doing?
- Development and management of machine learning models for fraud detection, compliance, and credit risk
- Trusted consultant to team members in the Model Ownership and Technology teams on machine learning modelling, contributing to model related decisions.
- Planning and delivery of high performing models, meeting agreed deadlines and ensuring accurate, efficient implementation of models in production systems.
- Perform annual reviews, performance monitoring reviews, retrains and remediation activity on models as required.
- Ensure all deliveries conform to Barclays Model Risk Governance Framework and regulatory requirements and produce robust, clear documentation.
- Keep abreast of machine learning and industry developments, conducting R&D to incorporate best in class modelling methodologies and disseminating learnings within the team.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong analytical skills with proven ability to develop and implement predictive machine learning models on very large data sets in Hadoop environments using tools such as Python and Spark.
- Experience of credit, fraud or compliance risk management practices in a Financial Services company, with understanding of model usage, technology and governance.
- Demonstrated ability plan projects and build relationships with stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a numerate subject (such as maths, statistics, computer science or physics).
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Experience developing and implementing the latest machine learning models (e.g. Random Forests, Gradient Boosted Machines and Deep Neural Networks) in a financial services company for credit, fraud, or compliance risk management.
- Ability to take cutting edge data science and machine learning research and translate it into value-adding business projects leveraging the newest algorithms and technology.
- PhD in a numerate subject and certificates in Machine Learning courses.
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.