Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Data Engineer – Entry Level for our San Antonio, TX or Plano, TX facility. This person may also work remotely in a 100% remote work environment.
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds – collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused results. The actual days' onsite are resolved between each employee and the employee’s manager. This position may also be in a 100% remote work environment.
This is for a role in our Bank IT Data Analytics Department, working on one of our Agile Teams.
Engineering Professions Jobs that are part of a community have unique requirements established to maintain consistent application, usage and reporting structure. Please reach out to your HR Business Partner for additional information on specific requirements prior to posting and/or employee placement into this job.
Within defined guidelines and framework, Data Engineers (DEs) are engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle. This includes gathering and analyzing requirements, collecting, processing, storing, securing, and archiving data. Develop and maintain technical systems for data reporting and technical solutions utilizing emerging technologies. Partner with the business to ensure data management solutions aligned to business objectives.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history - and we're even more passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Assists in the full life cycle of data engineering to include analysis, solution design, data pipeline engineering, testing, deployment, scheduling, and production support.
- May assist in the implementation of technical solutions for data engineering and analytic systems.
- Executes tests scripts and may begin to deploy data pipeline code with assistance from senior team members.
- Monitors the execution of data pipelines in the production environment. May begin to troubleshoot and return failures to service. Escalates failures through proper channels to ensure timely resolution.
- Participates in design and code review sessions.
- Actively participates in Agile ceremonies such as daily standup, iteration planning, backlog grooming, and retrospective sessions.
- Develops basic familiarity of data management best practices by participating in trainings, reviewing documentation, and reading code from existing solutions.
- Develops knowledge and understanding of business products and processes.
- Builds on data management principles and methodologies to include new and emerging related technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree; OR Approved certification from CodeUp, Galvenize, VetFIT (Veterans for IT) or eFIT (Employees for IT)
- Up to 2 years of data engineering, data analysis or software development experience implementing data solutions.
- Basic Understanding of one or more of the following: SQL, Relational Databases, Python, UNIX, UNIX Shell Scripting (Bash), Cloud Data Engineering (AWS/GCP), Cloud Data Warehousing (Snowflake, Redshift), Control-M, ETL Tools (DataStage, Informatica, DBT), Big Data Technologies (Hadoop Stack).
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Data Engineering focus with some exposure to Snowflake Cloud technologies.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $60,300 - $108,600*
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is Not Available for this position.