We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit
This position can be primarily located in either Toronto (hybrid) or Ottawa (remote) depending on the successful candidate
What You’ll Be Doing
As a Data Scientist, you’ll be joining the Cyber Operations and Resilience team’s Advanced Threat Detection group. You’ll be working with threat intelligence, security telemetry and raw network and infrastructure logs at scale. You and your fellow teammates will be responsible for developing methods of detection, proving their validity and value and providing recommendations on how to operationalize them. You are a self-directed learner with a passion for predictive analytics, and are interested in cyber security.
Individuals with strong quantitative backgrounds and excellent programming skills are encouraged to apply regardless of their experience level in cyber security.
At CIBC we enable the work environment most optimal for you to thrive in your role you’ll have the flexibility to manage your work activities within a hybrid work arrangement where you’ll spend 1-3 days per week on-site, while other days will be remote.
How You’ll Succeed
- Data Driven - Application and development of advanced analytic and machine learning techniques to enhance detection and identification of cyber security threats. Leading machine learning and data science based projects to improve the company security postures, enhance the organization’s ability to detect and analyze security threats, and develop new and advanced security features Hunt Scenario Hypotheses – You will be developing methods based on personal research, threat intelligence information, attacker techniques, tactics and procedures (TTPs), and other partnerships. Iteratively refining activities to improve their effectiveness, accuracy and efficiency. Provide technical expertise in development and support of all activities, processes, procedures and tools used for validating and ensuring the security of information assets
- Coordination – Interfacing and collaborating with internal teams such as the SOC and the threat intelligence teams.
Who You Are
- You can demonstrate experience in. BSc or above in a quantitative discipline (mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, engineering) with demonstrated experience (professional or personal projects) related to machine learning, statistics. visualization. Please include links to your Github profile and/or other project pages where possible.
- You can demonstrate knowledge in Strong knowledge of Python (pandas, numpy, scikit, stats models, keras, pytorch, tensorflow,..). Comfortable with analyzing large, complex and high-dimensional datasets. Strong passion for empirical research and answering hard questions with data. Comfortable and familiar with *nix and SQL. Knowledge of Spark/Hadoop a bonus..
- You give meaning to data. You enjoy investigating complex problems, and making sense of information. You're confident in your ability to communicate detailed information in an impactful way to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You act like an owner. You thrive when you're empowered to take the lead, go above and beyond, and deliver results.
- You embrace and champion change. You'll continuously evolve your thinking and the way you work in order to deliver your best
- You understand that success is in the details. You notice things that others don't. Your critical thinking skills help to inform your decision making.
- You look beyond the moment. You make decisions and take actions that will make a difference today and tomorrow. You proactively seek new opportunities to define what's possible
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values - trust, teamwork, and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career with ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What you need to know
Toronto-483 Bay St, 7th Floor
Computer Science, Data Science, Keras, Learning Techniques, Machine Learning, Predictive Analytics, Python (Programming Language), Python Numpy, PyTorch, Tensorflow