Location: 100% Remote
The City of Detroit is seeking a Senior Data Engineer. This role will provide the chance to design and build a data warehouse for the public sector. The small and collaborative nature of the team would allow for an individual to participate in all aspects of this project. The ARPA support coming to Detroit is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for folks interested in public service.
The Data Engineer IV is an experienced level information technology professional located in the Department of Innovation and Technology that plans, designs, develops, implements, and maintains code, programs, policies, and procedures to protect the integrity and efficiency of data infrastructure. The Data Engineer IV frequently interprets regulations on his/her own initiative, applies new methods to resolve complex and/or intricate, controversial, or unprecedented issues and problems, and resolves most of the conflicts that arise. The Data Engineer IV also keeps the supervisor informed of progress and of potentially controversial matters. The Data Engineer IV adheres to instructions, policies, and guidelines and exercises judgment to resolve commonly encountered work problems and deviations. The work performed by Data Engineers primarily involves designing, building, and documenting data pipelines and data infrastructure. Data Engineers are responsible for integrating a diverse number of datasets to improve delivery to internal customers and allow for data-led decision making.
- Building, design, and standup of an enterprise cloud-based data warehouse. This position would likely require an equal amount of meetings and heads-down work time.
- While this position would be acting largely as a team lead, you would also be contributing directly to data engineering, data warehousing, and data management needs.
- Standup with the team.
- Developing scripts to clean and integrate data.
- Designing data schemas and architecture.
- Developing work issues and delegating to other team members and contractors.
- Meeting with team members and contractors to ensure alignment and buy-in as well as technical feasibility.
- Identifying ways to track and manage data quality.
- Developing new data stores with team members or departmental clients.
- Bachelors in computer science, data science, information management, or database administration.
- 4 years of experience in systems analysis, computer science engineering, programming, information security management, data analysis, information science, or geographical information systems analysis is preferred but not required.
- 5+ years of experience with Data Warehousing: proven relational database design & build.
- Advanced Python and SQL skills.
- Experience working with geospatial data is a plus.
- Experience integrating large disparate data sources in a variety of formats.
- Experience working with open source data pipeline tools such as Airflow, Snowflake, DBT, Jupyter Notebooks, etc.
- Experience designing, developing, and/or managing, a cloud-based data warehouse for a large organization or enterprise.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Interested candidates can apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/detroit/jobs/3048865/administrative-special-services-staff-ii-contracting-and-procurement-specialist?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs