Reporting to a Director, Data Analytics Reporting and Evaluation (DARE), the Data Scientist develops, operationalizes and improves analytical models to support and inform operational, tactical and strategic decision making at PHSA. The Data Scientist is adept at using large data sets to build Operations Research models to find opportunities for service delivery and process optimization, as well as to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. Employs a variety of modeling and data analysis techniques, and utilizes knowledge of the operations and care delivery to build realistic models. The Data Scientist drives business results with evidence-based insights and works with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The Data Scientist discovers solutions hidden in large data sets and works with stakeholders to improve business processes and outcomes.
What you’ll do:
- Work as a senior data scientist and strategist in DARE to develop improvements to operational workflows and support decision making by researching, developing, and evaluating models and algorithms that leverages tools such as process modeling, operations research, simulation, and optimization and applied machine learning.
- Work closely with clinical and operational leadership across PHSA and other health authorities to strategize, develop, and implement analytical products.
- Use advanced Operations Research and Machine Learning models to identify patterns, trends, and opportunities that can make predictions or reduce workload and increase system efficiency to make a significant impact across various domains within PHSA.
- Lead the process of implementation of models into a useful product by collaborating with developers and other stakeholders.
- Communicate analytic solutions with leadership and apprise leadership of the product status throughout the various stages of the product lifecycle.
What you bring:
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a PhD degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field with 5-7 years of experience in related areas. Experience in health care sector would be an asset.
- Advanced skills in design of Operations Research models and the analysis of quantitative data for the purpose of creating actionable insights and measureable impact.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, processes, procedures and methods involved in data analysis, optimization and discrete event simulation methods, and machine learning.
- Demonstrated expertise in planning, organizing and coordinating modeling projects, and ability translating complex technical concepts to other stockholders to inform their decision making.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using advanced machine learning methods, optimization and simulation software packages (e.g., CPLEX, GAMS, Arena, Simio, etc.), and manipulation of large datasets.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques including but not limited to: regression methods, mathematical modeling, system dynamics, analysis of variance, text mining, simulation, scenario analysis, clustering analysis, decision trees, and neural networks.
- Experience with programing, querying databases, and using statistical computer languages: Python, SQL, R, SAS and others. Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: R, ggplot, Tableau, PowerBI, Matplotlib.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability and passion to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment.
What’s in it for you:
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including a municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 1333 W. Broadway Vancouver, BC
Closing date: Open until position is filled
Reference number: 104082E
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.