A little about us
What we do at Shaw matters - in a world where being connected has never been more critical, we bring the best wireline and wireless technology and solutions together to create exceptional customer experiences. Every day we help millions of Canadians live their best-connected lives through the strength, capacity and combined power of our Fast LTE and Fibre+ networks.
At Shaw we say we’re brighter together, and we believe it’s the diverse mix of brilliant people here that really makes us shine. When you join our team, you’ll see we are so much more than just a company. Shaw connects you with limitless opportunity, an incredible culture, career development and a great benefits package. We are a friendly, collaborative group, and we have a lot of fun finding new ways to delight our customers.
Come dream bigger and brighter with Shaw.
The Finance BI team at Shaw is looking for an experienced Data Analyst to join our team. This individual will be comfortable working in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment and will be responsible for delivering high quality data solutions that provide accurate, timely and insightful information to our stakeholders.
You will support the delivery & enhancement of automated data and reporting solutions. This includes partnering closely with business stakeholders, internal team members, peers in other data groups, and internal business partners. We are looking for someone who loves to understand and investigate data, highly values excellent communication, and is truly invested in efficiently delivering quality products.
A typical day
- Design and deliver automated solutions that summarize and transform data from various data sources into understandable, actionable information.
- Develop and improve data mart structures and BI report development/delivery processes to improve efficiency, usability, consistency, reliability and relevance of reports.
- Collect and converge requirements from end users; translate requirements into technical solutions.
- Collaborate with business partners to identify opportunities to apply BI insights to various areas of the organization.
- Ensure data and key metrics conform with business rules and governance
- Support and troubleshoot technical problems within the BI Environment.
- Understand and remain current on Shaw product offerings, promotions, and associated order entry / order management procedures.
- 5+ years experience and a solid understanding of SQL, and other DB constructs including stored procedures, functions, views and execution plans. Advanced knowledge of code optimization, including development/coding best practices.
- 5+ years experience creating automated reports, using advanced techniques with various systems and tools, and with emphasis on efficient, high quality code and identification/mitigation of data integrity problems.
- 5+ years experience, a solid understanding, and demonstrated ability to apply Data Warehouse and Data Modeling methodologies into practice. With a focus on understanding relational and dimensional data models for analysis and reporting of data.
- Hands on experience developing reports and architecture layer objects in MicroStrategy and Tableau, along with experience creating data and using data transformation processes through the use of Alteryx or other ETL tools.
- Experience acting as a mentor to peers, providing guidance on technical solutions, critical thinking, and storytelling via data - relating the data (‘What’ and ‘When’) to the ‘Why’ and ‘How’ parts of our business.
- Demonstrated business acumen, desire to learn about the communication business.
- Strong communication skills - ability to communicate with technical teams as well as business users
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, cooperative team and interdepartmental relationships
- Ability to execute: obtain essential information about a situation, focus on the key objectives, recognize the relevant options available, select an appropriate course of action and set in motion a plan to “get the job done”.
- Have a track record of delivering outputs that set the bar for quality, delivering complete solutions which are thoughtful, forward thinking (considering future impacts) and follow all internal processes.
- Ability to communicate with business users and collaborate with internal technical teams.
Meet the team
- Kerry Lee, Manager Business Intelligence – Delivery
- Sarah Wilkie, Director Business Intelligence
- Jen Pon, VP, Commercial Finance, Ops
- Linda Thomas, SVP Commercial Finance
- This role is not location specific however candidates should reside within 2-3 hours of a Shaw office
- This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
At Shaw, we believe diversity and inclusion are integral to the continued growth and success of our entire company. We believe diversity and inclusion enhances our Company’s culture and creates a sense of belonging where people feel comfortable bringing their true selves to work. This in turn promotes innovation through harnessing the variety of experiences, thoughts, and perspectives our employees have to offer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, gender, age, or any other identifying characteristic.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.