This is an exciting opportunity to lead in one of three data engineering roles:
- The first is within our 2021 Census Programme, where the information you and your team collects will be used by government and others to inform decisions that impact upon everyone. You will also be working within the Social Survey Transformation which is responsible for transitioning many of the largest household and social surveys run in the United Kingdom to new technologies.
- Within our Data Architecture (DA) Division you’ll help to make better use of data held across Government and within commercial organisations as well as develop core DA deliverables.
- The final role within the Analysis, Microdata and Engagement (AME) division will involve collaborating with a range of stakeholders to deliver new insights and innovative analysis across ONS. Recently this team as delivered key analysis for policy decision making in the Covid-19 crisis.
The data you produce will be key in forming the basis of a range of National Statistics outputs as well as the development of completely new outputs across the business, and you will work closely with a range of stakeholders across the business in meeting end user requirements. This involves using key programming languages such as Python and SQL as well as a strong understanding of current technologies such as Hadoop Distributed File Store technology and the tools (such as Spark) incorporated within it. This also requires the ability to quickly develop an understanding of key government operational data as well as a familiarity with key internal ONS sources such as Census.
Person SpecificationEssential Criteria:
- Lead several high-profile technical projects as well as actively supporting a series of cross Data Architecture outputs. As such experience leading the big data projects and production of analytical outputs is required.
- Lead and manage a team of Data Engineers in structuring, cleaning and standardising both externally sourced large-volume datasets.
- Work collaboratively to ensure that business objectives are met and key outputs are delivered for both general and expert use
- Liaise with external and internal data suppliers and customers to ensure data flows meet the requirements of both parties in terms of content and delivery schedule.
- Mentor and develop others so that they are familiar and comfortable with using ONS technologies and systems.
- Work closely with ONS Digital Services to keep track of issues with and opportunities presented with the new and evolving technology in continually improving data engineering processes.
- Provide the link to other divisions and stakeholders across the business in assessing, co-developing and implementing best practice such as evolving data standards into the data engineering process.
- Leading the development of code using Python and SQL in a Spark context to establish new engineering processes. Improve existing processes and where required develop data pipelines to effectively manage data.
- Able to work with a range of stakeholders, and to collaborate across teams to ensure a quality outcome;
- Adopts a positive approach and can act promptly to reassess workloads and priorities when there are conflicting demands;
- Confident in leading and taking the initiative to suggest ideas and make decisions to deliver improvements particularly where technical issues arise;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a track record of establishing, building and maintaining strong business relationships with internal suppliers and customers.
- Inspires and motivates team, providing a clear direction ins line with the corporate strategy;
- Is an effective role model (is visible and approachable, shows enthusiasm, and happy to work as part of an integrated team)
- Experience of implementing a data strategy across teams
- An intermediate or better understanding of Python/SQL in a Spark (Within Cloudera) Context;
- Demonstrable experience of validating, structuring and linking across very large administrative datasets and large-scale survey datasets or Census data;
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
Whether you are hearing about us for the first time or already know a bit about our organisation, we hope that the benefits pack attached (bottom of page)
will give you a great insight into the benefits and facilities available to our employees, and our fantastic working culture.
We are an organisation that takes the well-being of its employees seriously and lives and breathes the desire to modernise the workplace of the future. Everyone, from our office-based staff in Newport, London and Titchfield, to our field interviewers and airports and ports passenger survey staff, are part of a diverse and inclusive family.