About the role:
The data factory is a mature data function with a growing centralised data platform but also a data science platform developing delivering and maintaining ground-breaking algorithms on an enterprise level with a strong vision and executive support.
The ML ops process is considered ahead of the curve in the water space and will offer growing challenges to all levels. The benefit realisation will provide transformation to a digital first, data-driven business.
The primary focus of our team is to add business value by unlocking actionable insights from our data and also evolve Augmented Intelligence tools that will be the ground for an AI enterprise platform.
The Data Factory will deliver data standards, governance and a single version of the truth. This will be hosted on leading edge platforms and tooling that’s fit for purpose and stored in a secure and documented manner to protect customer data and company reputation. All this will put the intelligent insight into the hands of our people to maximise its efficiency and continue to provide excellent customer service we need to harness our data and use it to drive intelligent, insight driven decisions.
The Lead Data Scientist will be managing the data science team and driving the Data Science capability. You will be productionising and delivering your own concept of Machine Learning tools to the business defining data science strategy, quality assurance and leading the design of our systems.
As Lead Data Scientist, your responsibilities will include:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Leading multiple projects across the business.
- Directly and indirectly growing and managing Data Science teams.
- Negotiating with partners and monitoring the technical aspects of Data Science work.
- Assisting in the design of system architecture, data engineering, presentation layer.
- Owning and communicating the Data Science strategy for the organisation.
What’s in it for you?
- Proven experience in leading and growing out data science teams.
- Very strong academics, ideally a Masters on a highly quantitative degree with research projects.
- Strong commercial experience as a data scientist working on a wide variety of projects.
- Supervise insights, machine-learning and advise on data engineering projects
- Creation and implementation of best practices for statistical data modelling, analysis, and machine learning; data exploration; and processes that allow data team to work efficiently within the product and the tech org
- Contribute to the overarching data strategy and vision for data pipeline, data products
- Define the overarching data science strategy and vision
- Expert in Python and in Open Source frameworks and machine learning packages (e.g. Scikit-learn, Pandas, SciPy etc.)
- Knowledge of other data science languages (R, Scala)
- Accustomed with local and azure cloud environments and their data instances (Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake Storage, VMs, Azure HD insight, Azure DataBricks)
- A good understanding of Machine Learning & Deep Learning techniques
- Strong stakeholder management and engagement skills
- Strong Communication skills tailored to the audience (exec team, senior stakeholders, engineers)
- Experience in munging large amounts of raw data; preparing, cleansing and processing
- Experience with NLP / Text Mining / Sentiment Analysis
- Experience with collaborative software development or Agile delivery methodologies
Our competitive salary and package includes bonus of up to 20% of annual salary, car allowance, an excellent contributory pension and 26 days holiday. There is also a wider benefits scheme which includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans and loyalty awards for continuous service plus discounts at a wide range of retailers via Benefits on Taps.
We’re proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.About Us
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by suppling 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.