Salary: Band 9, £39,267 – £45,546
Location: Agile, Forth Banks Police Station, Newcastle and homeworking
Hours/Contract: Full time, permanent
Working for #TeamNP
Our purpose at Team NP is simple: to keep people safe and to fight crime. But it takes more than officers alone to do the job – and that’s where our 2,000-strong team of police staff and 200 volunteers come in.
As one of the largest police forces in England we have a huge variety of departments and specialisms offering you endless opportunities. From mentoring and coaching schemes and online soft skills courses to leadership development programmes; we’ll give you the support, training and time to carve out the career you always wanted.
As one of the top 50 UK inclusive employers and a disability confident employer, we promote a culture of respect in the workplace so everyone can feel seen, heard and valued.
Whether you’re a member of staff or a volunteer, you can also expect first-rate support to manage your health and wellbeing. With year-round events, a 24/7 welfare support hotline and a leading approach to neurodiversity, our initiatives enable you to be at your best.
Above all else, here at Team NP, we can offer you a career that is so much more than just a job, it’s a chance to be part of something that really matters.
Here at Northumbria Police, we think our region is amazing! It takes a great deal of people from different backgrounds, with diverse skills and experience to serve our force area effectively, think you have what it takes to help us make a difference? This could be the perfect time for you to join us in our Digital Department as a Data Engineer.
As a Data Engineer you will assist in the design, creation, support of monitoring of the Force data structures and models, supporting strategic data management. You will play an integral part in the development and support of our central data hub. This will involve developing both new and existing data pipelines using appropriate technologies as well as helping to provide extensive data quality and integrity checking for each pipeline and the hub itself.
What you’ll do
- Deliver data integration solutions from Exact Transform Load (ETL) processing into data structures including design and development of reusable metadata.
- Perform and support Extract Transform Load (ETL) processing for the Force’s data interoperability needs. Triage existing ETL processes including, but not limited to, Stored Procedures, Packages, Functions and Cursors, and new ETL process technology.
- Provide support and advice to ensure effective and sustainable use of data within projects and initiatives. Support assigned data and information projects, ensuring that data and information provision meets the needs of the Force in a responsive and secure manner.
- Assist in Identifying opportunities for innovation through existing or future data capabilities.
What you’ll bring
- A degree, HND or equivalent qualification, and/or have significant relevant experience
- Proven data analysis and delivery experience in data integration environments such as a data warehousing, lakes, and enterprise service bus
- Experience using Microsoft SQL and PowerShell to deliver ETL solutions Experience of relational and multi-dimensional data models
- Proven experience of relational data base technologies, e.g. Oracle, SQL Server
- Experience of handling multiple data types beyond traditional RDMS, CDC and file types
- Knowledge of data interoperability and Integration frameworks and ETL best practice
- Experience of orchestration, logging, monitoring and alerting solutions
- Knowledge of master data management
- Knowledge of data life-cycle management Knowledge of Ethical Standards Framework
- Experience of data conformity methods in relation to enterprise data management
- Experience of using an ITSM tool
We know it’s important for you to feel that you’re not only part of a great team, but part of a community. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment in which everyone feels valued, and their talents are fully utilised. Appointments are based on merit alone.
What we offer
- 26 days’ leave (increasing to 30 days for 5 years+ service) plus 8 bank holidays
- Enhanced maternity, shared parental and adoption leave
- Flexi time – allowing you to fit your working hours around your individual needs
- Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
- Agile working – option to work from home, your team zone, and spaces across the force
- Fantastic market-leading public sector pension scheme with up to 16% employer contribution
- Corporate travel schemes – local rail, bus services and metro discounts
- Access to private healthcare and eye test vouchers
- Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
- We’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service for the times you need that additional support.
- Access to gyms in some stations
- Sports & Social Club – join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
- Cycle to work scheme
Just so you know
Our application form will help us understand how your work, education and life experience has prepared you for the role of a Data Engineer with #TeamNP. To help support your application research what makes us tick here at Northumbria, the role you’re applying for and the values and behaviours that contribute.
The recruitment process will consist of the initial application form followed by an interview. Just so you know, you can save your application and come back to it any time prior to the closing date on the advert.
We are proud members of the Business Disability Forum, with whom we collaborate with to improve the lives of disabled employees. We are also a Disability Confident Employer, therefore if you demonstrate that you meet the minimum criteria for this role as stated in the advert, we will progress your application and offer you an interview.
If you tell us that you have a disability, we can make adjustments to support you through the recruitment process (for example we can arrange extra time for tests or provide a sign language interpreter) You can get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org for any support regarding the application process. Please provide us with plenty of notice so we can ensure your visit goes smoothly. If your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a Recruitment Vetting (RV) form, therefore you must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 3 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information, and references.
Terms of appointment
This is a permanent role subject to a six-month probationary period.
If you are successful in your application, you will have a 6month probation period with us where you will be unable to apply for any other post advertised internally or externally.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.