About the Company:
Worldcoin is a new global digital currency that will launch by giving a share to every single person on earth.
We believe that the transition to a native financial layer on the internet is an important step for humanity. It is free, frictionless and not controlled by anyone. This transition has already started on a small scale for insiders, but cryptocurrencies have failed to reach mass adoption over the last 10 years.
Worldcoin aims to rectify this by creating a new cryptocurrency and distributing it to everyone on earth through a novel approach: a dedicated hardware device ensuring both humanness and uniqueness of everybody signing up, while maintaining their privacy and the overall transparency of a permissionless blockchain.
About the Team:
The AI & Biometrics team is building a state of the art iris recognition engine that works on the 1B+ people scale. In order to achieve this, we use a fusion of custom optics, hardware, and on-device machine learning, combined with large-scale data collection in more than 20 countries.
It is crucial to the project that our biometric device (the orb) provides a good user experience and is able to capture high quality biometric data. Central to this is the mechanical guiding system that images the iris from various camera positions. This role is responsible for developing and maintaining the software that controls the guiding system. This involves the development of computer vision models, integration thereof on the hardware device, and collecting additional data for the continual improvement of model performance.
About the Opportunity:
We are looking for a machine learning engineer to design a mechanical guiding system used by our novel IoT device to capture images of the human iris from various positions. The device must simultaneously provide a seamless user experience and capture iris images accurately and swiftly. In this role you will:
- Develop and build experimental setups to collect training data and to test the hardware device.
- Interact with the hardware, orb firmware, and data collection teams to design workflows for collecting the training data you need.
- Build custom data labeling services to increase the quality of our training data.
- Setup and train neural networks to solve tasks like localization or semantic segmentation.
- Design techniques to analyse the performance of your engines, find weaknesses, and improve the engine (e.g. through data augmentation).
- Ensuring the biometric engine performs equally well across different demographics.
- Setup experiments and do research on iris recognition in general (e.g. measure reaction times of the pupil contraction).
- Experience with computer vision and deep learning, ideally through past projects that have been deployed in production.
- Fluent in Python and deep learning libraries (e.g. Tensorflow/Pytorch)
- Well versed with the state of the art in deep learning for computer vision.
- Ability to read and understand scientific papers, reproduce results, and transfer techniques to other domains.
- Experience interacting with MongoDB, Postgres, and AWS.
Worldcoin is co-founded by Sam Altman, Alex Blania and Max Novendstern and funded by Andreessen Horowitz and others. We are looking for mission-driven and high-performing team players, who will help us onboard everyone on earth into a new borderless financial system.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- 401(k) plan (coming soon)
- Professional learning and development stipend
- Lunch and dinner each day upon return to office