Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
The Systems Engineering Solutions Strategic Business Unit provides advanced systems engineering and technology applications for intelligence and information enterprises. These applications and solutions deliver enterprise data management, data analytics, modeling and simulation, and technology assessment capabilities that are used to create products that offer actionable information in support of warfighters and decision makers.
Engineer I- Machine Learning
What You’ll Do:
- Work in an open, collaborative environment developing artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to solve problems for commercial and government customers
- Conduct research and development (R&D) of tools and technologies capable of making decisions and predictions using various deep learning model types such as Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN), Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN), Long Short-Term Memory (LSTM), Generative Adversarial Networks (GAN), and Deep Q-Learning.
- Use a variety of state-of-the-art open source and cloud-based technologies to solve data analysis and prediction problems using geospatial imagery and contextual data.
- Implement innovative image processing and machine learning capabilities to provide solutions to challenging technical problems.
- Document research through technical reports and papers
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and to exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level will be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Passion and creativity to help develop innovative solutions to technical problems.
- Strong understanding of physics, mathematics and/or statistics.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work well both individually and in a group.
- Experience with machine learning techniques, preferably deep learning using Tensorflow and Keras.
- Programming/scripting experience, preferably in Python.
- Experience with signal and image processing and analysis preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Future Clearance Required:
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is not available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.