Join a movement in which everyone can win. We started a movement in which everyone can win – shoppers, retailers, society and every person on our team. To play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Founded five years ago in Sydney, Australia, Afterpay has over 11 million active customers globally and more than 64,000 of the world’s best retailers around the world including Anthropologie, Revolve, DSW, GOAT, Finish Line, Levi’s, Mac Cosmetics, Ray-Ban and many others. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is completely free for customers who pay on time – helping people spend responsibly without incurring interest, fees or extended debt.
Afterpay empowers customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. Afterpay is deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers. We are focused on supporting our community of shoppers. We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing.
As a Data Scientist at Afterpay, you will be building the data foundation to support advanced machine learning and decisioning, including developing, implementing and auditing advanced variables and features. Additionally, you'll be responsible for formulating innovative solutions for advanced features and models, through collaboration with other data scientists and analysts.
We are much more than our job descriptions - we are our energy, our ideas, our everyday drive. Here’s where you will begin….
- Be responsible for building/maintaining alerts, dashboards, and metrics to monitor availability and quality of live data, features, etc
- Partner with product and engineering team in implementing features and models, and enhancing feature capability
- Master with large volumes of data; extract and manipulate large datasets using standard tools such as SQL, Python, and R
- Lead and support various ad hoc projects, as needed
Who are you?
Like us, you’ll be deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers and passionate about shaping the future of Afterpay. You like to keep it real with your actions, be brave with your decisions, do the right thing for all our stakeholders, and shape the future with excitement.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent practical experience.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience extracting and manipulating large data
- 2+ years of experience with scripting in Python, Shell or R.
- Experience building visualizations using large datasets and multiple data sources
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent practical experience.
- Self-starter, motivated by a passion for developing the best possible solutions to problems.
- Intellectually curious and comfortable operating in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Exceptional time management skills; has the ability to multi-task and triage the evolving responsibilities of the role.
- Superb communication and organization skills, with the ability to simplify and present complex engineering and analytical concepts to an executive audience.
- Understanding of modern machine learning techniques is an advantage but not essentialWork experience in risk or payments is an advantage but not essential.
How we reward you. We have a pay for performance culture so you can expect to be rewarded for high performance. We pride ourselves on fairness and offer a competitive total reward package made up of salary, incentives and benefits including the opportunity to enroll in our share matching plan.
We have a strong focus on health and wellbeing at Afterpay as we aim to support you to succeed in both your career and personal lives, such as providing employees with a corporate membership to Headspace. We offer a wide range of insurance programs so you have the flexibility to choose what is best for you. Afterpay covers 100% of the employee cost and 75% of the cost of your dependents.
We value diversity and a collaborative and inclusive environment where everyone feels they belong is important to us.
How to Apply: We don’t know what the future holds. That’s the exciting part; we show up and make it happen. If you’re brave, if you’re committed to doing the right thing and excited by this opportunity, click apply now!
Afterpay is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new team members, in addition to current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.