Do you have a passion for data, coding, and are interested in cybersecurity? Do you want to apply it to protecting people against cybercriminals at scale? Would you like to work with a diverse, talented, and highly collaborative team of data scientists, security researchers and other specialists? Would it make you proud to tell your friends and family that the work you do protects hundreds of millions of people in over a hundred countries around the world?
Our team is looking for an early-in-career data scientist with strong coding skills or ML engineer to join us who is passionate about using data to drive customer protection. You will partner with our security researchers, engineers, and other data scientists to explore, design, build, and deploy solutions to protect customers. In your day-to-day work, you will analyze telemetry from our products, conduct data experiments, design and explore improvements, build machine learning models, incorporate quality monitors, optimize protection, and maintain and ship models to production.
Here's a bit about us. Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (MDE) is a unified platform for preventative protection, post-breach detection, automated investigation, and response. Our team, the Microsoft Defender Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Team, focuses on detecting threats and generating insightful alerts to our customers after a security breach. On our security research team, data analysis and implementing corresponding solutions is a fundamental part of how we protect customers. That's where you come in.
At Microsoft, you’ll have access to vast amounts of threat-related data from hundreds of millions of endpoints and other sources. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with partners across Microsoft who have decades of security and ML expertise. We also offer many company-sponsored classes and conferences that focus on data science, ML, and engineering excellence. Microsoft provides phenomenal community, tools, and technologists to grow your expertise in this field. Best of all, on the MDE team, you'll be able to apply that expertise to protecting people.Responsibilities
- Code in C# near-production level cybersecurity detector logic
- Monitor and analyze protection big data to uncover protection gaps
- Build a holistic understanding of our products, features, customers, data infrastructure, and business goals
- Understand business performance as well as answer questions to drive product actions
- Code end-to-end rule-based, automation, statistical, or machine learning pipelines for turning raw data into protection value for customers
- Define and implement measures and dashboards that accurately quantify the value of improvements
- Provide technical leadership to our team by reviewing problem sets, proposing solutions, and reviewing experiments and data
Applicants early in career or without industry experience are welcome to apply.Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree or higher or equivalent experience in Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or another data-focused field
- Experience with 1+projects using coding skills in C# or Java
- Knowledgeable in machine learning and statistical concepts
- Knowledgeable in data technology such as SQL, Spark, or similar
- Experience with ML frameworks, such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, scikit-learn, or similar
- Experience in cybersecurity a bonus
These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role.
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.