This role is part of the AI Residency Programme, and is a 2-year fixed term contract.
Where you fit in
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies, with approximately 80,000 employees in more than 80 countries and territories. Shell helps to meet the world's growing demand for energy in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways. Shell recognizes the strategic role of statistics and data science in supporting its operations and functions of its customers.
The Digital Centre of Excellence (DCoE) supports all businesses in Shell with data science solutions. The DCoE has especial relevance in conducting next generation research and development to support Shell’s move to industry 4.0 and its contribution to the energy transition. The DCoE is also committed to the highest quality of applied research, and contributing to the open data science research ecosystem, for example through work on open source data science software.
We are looking for data scientists with a strong methodological and technical skillset and the ability to work in a business applied context which includes scoping, problem formulation, development, deployment, and stakeholder interaction.
Experience with toolbox software development in an open or inner source context, especially in the scikit-learn ecosystem, is preferred.
What’s the role?
Successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
- Working in a highly-collaborative, friendly and agile environment
- Developing data scientific approaches and applications to concrete business problems
our tech stack includes: Python, VS Code, GitHub, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes
- Developing, maintaining, and contributing to data scientific software libraries in a Scikit-learn compatible inner source ecosystem; with dedicated opportunities for open source work
- Writing clean and maintainable code
- Documenting code, algorithms/methodology, libraries, analysis results
- Working closely with customers and product owners on a day-to-day basis
project and customer focus is industry 4.0 and new/green energies
- Communicating work and outcomes to technical and non-technical stakeholder audiences
- Engaging with continuous improvement and upskilling: learning new engineering practices, technologies; keeping up and contributing to the academic state-of-art
What we need from you?
We are keen to hear from candidates with the following experience/qualifications:
- MSc or equivalent in data science, AI, statistics, mathematics, computer science, econometrics, or similar discipline; alternatively demonstrable comparable experience
- Experience in practical data science; including scoping, problem formulation, success control; data analysis methodology; notebook style analyses, reproducible analyses
- Experience with common classes of models in statistics, machine learning, and “AI in the narrow sense”; preferably also specialist experience in: learning with time series, causal models, optimization and control, and/or reinforcement learning
- Experience with usage common python data science toolboxes, including Pandas, Scikit-learn, Tensorflow; preferably also experience with development or extension
- Experience with the data scientific collaboration stack, including open/inner source ways of working, literate use of version management and digital collaboration platforms like GitHub
- Experience with common deployment architectures for data science applications and the relevant developer stack
- A passion for applied data science to solve real-world problems
- Strong oral and written communication skills, especially for technical content
- Strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for team and community work
- The ability to work independently, the ability to lead defined technical sub-projects
- A passion for reproducible science, re-usable software, open or inner source communities
- Experience with quality standards for code, reproducible (data) science, real-world deployment of software applications; high personal standards are expected
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.