- Bachelor's degree and 5 years of relevant experience
- Algorithm and model development experience for large-scale applications
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python/Perl, R/Matlab, Java, C/C++, Scala Problem solving ability
- Deep understanding of Statistical Analysis, Modeling and Machine Learning techniques.
- Hands-on professional experience with applying machine learning and other data science techniques to identify anomalous behavior patterns (e.g., user or machine anomalies) in a production environment
- Experience with extracting, cleaning, and transforming data and working with data owners to understand the data
- Professional experience using database languages, such as SQL, and common data scientist software development and statistical analysis tools (e.g., Python, R, Scikit-learn)
- Ability to dive deep into complex technical problems and drive change.
- Excellent problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities.
AWS Trust & Safety (T&S) is looking for a Data Scientist who is passionate about using data to drive decisions that help improve safety across AWS services and build trust with customers and stakeholders. You'll have the opportunity to raise the bar, help in developing new systems that automatically defend against evolving threats while providing customer-facing, centralized management and visibility.
As a Data Scientist, you will work directly with Business Analysts, Operations and Program team to monitor abuse trends on AWS worldwide and design appropriate solutions to respond in a collaborative environment. There are no walls, and success is determined by your ability to dive deep, and understand the subtle demands new and complex threats will place upon services, systems and teams.
About the Team.
AWS Trust & Safety (T&S) is the global team responsible for protecting AWS against a wide variety of abuse while simultaneously working to build trust with AWS’s customers and external stakeholders. Our team works to detect abuse by analyzing a variety of data and signals, and mitigate the abuse through fit-for-purpose solutions. We build trust through these efforts and our leadership on key T&S issues facing our industry. Our team members display a solid understanding of AWS’s cloud infrastructure, strong technical knowledge, and the ability to exercise sound judgment on complex and time-sensitive matters.
About the Role.As a Data Scientist, your responsibilities will include:
- Manage your own process: identify and execute on high impact projects, triage external requests, and make sure you bring projects to conclusion in time for the results to be useful.
- Apply state-of-the-art Machine Learning methods to large amounts of data from different sources to build and operationalize abuse prevention, detection and mitigation solutions.
- Keep up with and contribute to the progress of the Amazon and broader ML research communities in the context of AUP violations
- Deep dive on the problems using SQL and scripting languages like Python/R to drive short term and long term solutions leveraging Statistical Analysis.
- Analyze data (past customer behavior, sales inputs, and other sources) to identify trends, create compromise prevention and mitigation solutions and output reports with clear recommendations.
- Collaborate closely with the development team to recommend and build innovations based on Data Science.
- Help with escalations from AWS Management for AUP violations, Abuse, compromise and related activities.
- Be the primary point of contact during compromise outbreaks – including analyses to identify and apply responses.
- Collaborate in a fast paced environment with multiple teams and customers in a dynamic entrepreneurial organization.
The candidate should have strong communication skills, be able to work closely with stakeholders and translate data-driven findings into actionable insights. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Master's degree and 3 years of relevant experience
- 3+ years of experience as Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists and/or Business Intelligence Engineers
- Track record of implementing and deploying large scale machine learning applications and tools
- Proficiency in model development, model validation and model implementation for large-scale applications
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and solutions at a level appropriate for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience and proficiency with AWS technologies (EC2, CloudTrail, S3, SageMaker, Lambda, DynamoDB, RDS, etc.) and Big Data technologies.
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
- 1+ year of work experience in applying data science to physical security, network security, or abuse related problems
‘’Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.