Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work . Come join our team of All-Stars!
About The Role
Starburst is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to build and enhance internal usage, telemetry, and product data analytics for both Starburst Enterprise and Starburst Galaxy. This role focuses on using our own software to better understand our customers and how they use our products. In addition, since data engineers are one of our key target personas, you will be able to provide valuable feedback to our teams as you use the products, in terms of performance, user experience, and integration with the larger data engineering ecosystem. You’ll work closely with our dynamic, talented, global engineers while emphasizing quality and speed to insights.
- Work cross-functionally with customer support, product management, finance, and engineering to provide insights into customer behaviors and usage
- Collaborate with technical leads and product managers to build robust data products and analytics
- Define and adapt data engineering processes and best practices to focus on execution and getting reliable answers to important business questions
- Work closely with leaders from other teams and departments to iterate on both data architecture and design of data solutions, focusing on high-quality results accessible at several levels
Some of the things we look for:
- At least 5 years of data engineering experience, and a clear passion for data and analytics
- Depth of knowledge and a genuine sense of curiosity around all things data, and how data can be used to help a business grow
- Enthusiasm for working both independently and collaboratively with strong, diverse, high-performing teams to get value and insights from data
- Fluency in SQL
- Knowledge of or experience in the following:
○ Data engineering concepts such as pipelines, data cleaning, curation, integration, storage, data quality monitoring, etc.
○ Modern data ecosystems such as enterprise data platforms, data warehousing, data lakes/lakehouses, and ELT/ETL
○ At least one analytics/BI tool such as Tableau, Looker, or Metabase
○ At least one modern programming language such as Python or Java
○ Public cloud experience
- Demonstrable experience in delivering value and hitting deadlines consistently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and organizational skills
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.