The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) and the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a junior-level Data Engineer to further EMSL’s data management and integrated research goals. The candidate should have experience in software development and managing scientific data using FAIR principles.Responsibilities
- Developing and optimizing capabilities at the division level and identify mission challenges and formulate engineering solutions methodically.
- Generates new ideas for proposals and business development opportunities of small to medium proposals. Stay current about data management and database technology developments
- Collaborate with researchers on the data development and applying analysis techniques to a rich variety of scientific instrument data form experiment
- Contribute to innovative application of advanced simulation and modeling to research problems relevant to DOE-BER missions where computational approaches are significant.
- Design, build, deploy & maintain data pipelines, ETL workflows, data, and computing environments; or implement and configure third-party solutions, including participation in software engineering work in Python or other programming languages.
- Work on data migrations and ingestion projects with users to design large-scale data processing systems, develop data pipelines optimized for scaling, and troubleshoot potential data platform challenges.
- Ensure quality, availability, and integrity of data, solutions, and respective systems and integrate proactive strategies and best practices regarding data integrity, security, and scalability.
- Partner cross-functionally to build and improve new/existing constructs and solve data engineering problems. Supports scoping, scheduling, and budgeting at a project or major task level.
- BS/BA and 5+ years of relevant work experience -OR-
- MS/MA and 3+ years of relevant work experience -OR-
- PhD with 1+ year of relevant experience
Hazardous Working Conditions/Environment
- ETL, SQL, NoSQL, and Data Management frameworks
- Backend languages and tools such as Python, PostgreSQL, and database management
- Experience with Linux computing environments.
Not applicable.Additional Information
“Referral Eligible”Testing Designated Position
This is not a Testing Designated Position (TDP).About PNNL
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to the values of Integrity, Creativity, Collaboration, Impact, and Courage. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven people come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a 45-minute flight (or ~3-hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.Commitment to Excellence, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Equal Employment Opportunity
Our laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment dedicated to solving critical challenges in fundamental sciences, national security, and energy resiliency. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. In support of this commitment, we encourage people of all racial/ethnic identities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), protected veteran status, and any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local laws.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures and in employment. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, contact us at email@example.com.Drug Free Workplace
PNNL is committed to a drug-free workplace supported by Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) and complies with federal laws prohibiting the possession and use of illegal drugs.
If you are offered employment at PNNL, you must pass a drug test prior to commencing employment. PNNL complies with federal law regarding illegal drug use. Under federal law, marijuana remains an illegal drug. If you test positive for any illegal controlled substance, including marijuana, your offer of employment will be withdrawn.Mandatory Requirements
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a “country of risk” without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries, you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.Rockstar Rewards
Employees and their families are offered medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, health savings account, flexible spending accounts, basic life insurance, disability insurance*, employee assistance program, business travel insurance, tuition assistance, supplemental parental bonding leave**, surrogacy and adoption assistance, and fertility support. Employees are automatically enrolled in our company funded pension plan* and may enroll in our 401k savings plan. Employees may accrue up to 120 vacation hours per year and may receive ten paid holidays per year.
- Research Associates excluded.
- Once eligibility requirements are met.
Click Here For Rockstar Rewards