Location - Kelowna, Vancouver, Seattle or Remote (Canada, WA or CA)
COVID-19 UPDATE: Please note that all Hyper Hippo Entertainment (HHE) employees are working remotely for the time being due to COVID-19, as the health & safety of our employees and their families is extremely important to us. Due to this, we’re currently having all new hires begin work with us remotely rather than in our office locations.
This is an opportunity to build a data science practice within a fast-growing, successful, mobile gaming company. The right candidate will work with the Director of Data & Insights to define best practices and develop and execute a strategy to build a data science practice. The output will be machine learning models and personalization algorithms to optimize and enhance gameplay, customer experience, and business decision making processes.
A Lead Data Scientist’s Impact
- Design, develop, evaluate and modify unsupervised, supervised and reinforcement machine learning algorithms in the context of solving gaming and entertainment problems
- Select features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Identify third party data sources, as needed, to improve performance of models
- Perform ad-hoc analysis in support of stakeholders needs during the engagement
- Partner with marketing, application development, data & analytics, and business teams to automate and operationalize data collection, analysis, modelling, and publication of insights
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Communicate results of highly complex statistical models to stakeholders
- Co-create the technical data science roadmap for Hyper Hippo with product owners and key stakeholders
- Define best standards and practices in development patterns with a software development focus for the machine learning development lifecycle
Your Track Record Includes
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as Python, PySpark, R, Scala, SQL - advanced Python experience is particularly desirable
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Spark SQL
- Experience with Azure and SPARK, including Databricks, ML Flow, ML Lib, Snowflake
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent level experience
- 5+ years of experience in commercial applications of qualitative, predictive and prescriptive statistics
- Experience with large data sets, 3rd party data acquisition and operating in a cloud environment
- Real passion for working collaboratively in a team environment to deliver premier solutions
- Experience with leading high-performing teams
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with emphasis on presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience with commercial and open source statistical tools and analytics tools
- Experience working with product teams to roadmap and plan data science projects and programs
- Bonus points for experience in the Gaming and Entertainment industry
Hyper Hippo Welcomes Everyone to Apply!
Hyper Hippo is an equal opportunity employer and we celebrate every single person and what makes them unique. Having a workforce composed of individuals with different experiences and backgrounds allows our team to make better decisions and create new and exciting ideas to bring to our players. We strive for every Hippo to feel a true sense of belonging and trust.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use and please reach out if you require any accommodations or support during the recruitment process.
- Competitive salary
- Extraordinary incentive plan tied to company goals
- Extended health, dental & vision benefits + a health & wellness spending account
- Access to a company-paid Employee & Family Assistance Program
- 3 weeks vacation + 10 paid personal/sick days per year
- Annual self development budget to attend conferences, courses, training – you name it!
- Work Style Benefit - $100/month stipend
- Home Ergonomic Benefit for your home office - $1,000
Our Core Values
- We Are Bold
- We Are One Team
- We Are Player-First
- We Are Creative
- We Are Transparent
- We Are Futuristic
What We’re Building at Hyper Hippo Entertainment
Hyper Hippo is an award-winning entertainment studio, driven to entertain, connect, and inspire billions of fans around the world.
Founded in 2012, by the creator of Club Penguin, Lance Priebe, Hyper Hippo is the studio behind the smash-hit idle games, AdVenture Capitalist (with 50+ million players), and AdVenture Communist - a cult mobile hit.
Hyper Hippo is headquartered in Canada, with offices in Kelowna, Vancouver, and Seattle, and remote employees across North America. Hyper Hippo brings together an exceptionally creative team that is relentlessly focused on innovating and exploring new forms of entertainment.