SYSTEMIQ is a different kind of company. Our purpose is to catalyze good disruptions in critical economic systems, with a current focus on land use/forestry, energy, and materials/circular economy. These disruptions are not only vital to the future of humanity and our planet, they also open up immense opportunities for the businesses that drive them. The UN Global Goals and the Paris Agreement have set the targets we must reach to protect the earth and make sure everyone in the growing global population has a chance to prosper. But, so far, most change has been incremental. We need to transform economic systems much faster to hit the targets and stop the degradation of natural resources.
SYSTEMIQ connects the right people, ideas, technologies, and capital to transform economic systems. We do this through four five activities:
- Convene and support coalitions of leaders to shape policies and business strategies that will rapidly transform economic activity
- Work with companies that want to be pioneers in and drivers of change towards more sustainable systems
- Co-create and incubate the market solutions most likely to build regenerative economic systems
- Invest our own venture capital and expertise in opportunities with the biggest potential to drive rapid system change
- Direct larger pools of capital into regenerative economic systems, so that these scale and multiply.
In order to deliver in these areas, we recruit and develop distinctive and varied individuals who strive to achieve our mission, challenge the status quo and act as change leaders.
ANALYTIQ – the SYSTEMIQ analytics backbone
World-class analytics is not sufficient to drive true system-level change, but it is a necessary ingredient. That's why SYSTEMIQ has ANALYTIQ, a dedicated core unit designed to apply top-tier analytics to address the most complex system challenges.
ANALYTIQ harnesses a diverse array of analytical methodologies, from system optimization techniques like power and material flow modeling, to GIS modeling, as well as digital app development, which ranges from creating simple dashboards to designing tailor-made web applications. We employ these techniques to accelerate transitions across all SYSTEMIQ impact platforms, including energy, materials, sustainable finance, nature, and cities.
We have a long track-record of making system-changing impact with our analytics, as seen in Mission Possible Partnership, Breaking the Plastic Wave, Plastic IQ, PlastSimulator, among others. We are now looking to further scale our 15 people ANALYTIQ team and expand our impact.
We're seeking a talented Data Scientist to join our ANALYTIQ team. In this role, you'll work across all our platform areas, leveraging your skills to create first-rate analytical models that address a myriad of topics. As part of your journey, you'll cultivate expertise in areas like strategy advisory, sustainable finance, coalition building, and venture capital.
Your work will be highly strategic and involve collaboration with leading institutions in the field. This international role is aimed at delivering substantial, system-level impact on the world. You'll become part of a dynamic team of analytic experts who are dedicated to fostering system change through their work.
We're seeking individuals with a strong analytical track record, proven achievements, and impactful problem-solving skills. You've demonstrated your abilities in various contexts and have an interest in contributing to an entrepreneurial environment where your work can make a significant impact. You share SYSTEMIQ's passion for system change.
This role is available in our offices in London, Amsterdam or Munich.
- Work as part of a project team to deliver analytical insights to SYSTEMIQ’s impact partners
- Create bespoke models and tools to accelerate and scale system change for clients
- Build out ANALYTIQ’s internal suite of tools that enable accelerated impact by our SYSTEMIQ project teams
- Liaise with SYSTEMIQ’s platforms on energy, materials, nature, finance and cities to design and build new tools
- Work with SYSTEMIQ’s partners and wider sustainability analytics community to stay up to date with the latest methods to bring to projects
To thrive in this role, you'll need to showcase advanced problem-solving, analytical, and relationship-building skills that can drive breakthrough insights and actions, leading to impactful results.
Skills / Experience:
- Strong quantitative background, owning a master’s degree or higher in mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science or equivalent area
- Recent graduate or up to 2 years of work experience
- A keen willingness to learn a broader set of skills to deliver impact
- A strong track record of building large energy, materials or nature system models and/or complex applications in data poor environments
- Programming experience in Python or other major languages (Julia, C++, Go), testing, version control, continuous integration
Beneficial additional skills
- Experience with GIS modeling and visualizations
- Experience with Dash and/or other dashboard software (PowerBI/, Tableau) to bring data to life
- Experience with cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP) and containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch etc.)
- Experience in delivering web applications (HTML/CCS, Django/JS/HTMX)
We are keen to receive applications from all parts of the community.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity and inclusion are at the heart of system change and the mission we have set ourselves. So we commit ourselves to:
· Embedding diverse and inclusive ways of working from day to day. This includes recruitment, performance management, and people processes and policies.
· Providing a supportive environment. We want people to be themselves and be at their best, regardless of their background, personality, gender, sexual orientation, race, mental health, religion, or other characteristics.
· Enabling a long-term, sustainable approach to work and life more generally. We want to support our people at all stages of their lives – as parents or caregivers, through changing life circumstances – and to accommodate personal priorities where they matter most.