About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 13,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Role:
We will work together with data scientists, underwriters, actuaries, IT and others to unlock the value of different internal and external information sources for the analysis and use in the underwriting, pricing, reserving, and portfolio management of Swiss Re's US Casualty Reinsurance business.
Job activities include the following:
- Role can be AVP or VP depending on candidate's experience.
- Developing minimum data standards, pipelines, and classification hierarchies to ensure best in class data assets. Designing a semi-automated and/or repeatable process for aggregating metrics for standard and ad-hoc reporting and analysis. Creating dashboards and canned reports using BI software and working to make data more accessible to end users.
- Maintaining a close working relationship with other Data, Analytics, and IT teams. Building strong partnerships with peers across the organization to support data-related goals. Maintaining awareness of available capabilities and resources and how they can be applied to Casualty priorities.
- Establishing familiarity with the information necessary to underwrite, price, reserve, manage, and maintain quality control. Unlocking the value of different internal and external data sources for the analysis and use by underwriters, actuaries, portfolio owners, and executives.
- Acting as a key contact for initiatives across various operating units. Providing training for actuaries and citizen data scientists on R to support the broader tools landscape.
- Discovering and exploring new technologies and data sources with curiosity and creativity. Leading efforts to collaborate, research, acquire, structure, and provide access to new and existing data sources.
- Partnering with the Head of Underwriting Analytics to ensure that projects are scoped, planned, resourced, delivered, and meet a clear business need. Helping the business to balance the pros/cons of a tactical implementation that provides immediate value versus a longer-term strategic objective.
About the Team:
The Underwriting Analytics team is a new operating unit within the North American Casualty Reinsurance hub that was formed to support the underwriting and actuarial teams at Swiss Re across all client segments (broker and direct). The team includes a mix of data scientists, actuaries, underwriters, and analysts working together to make foundational improvements in the quality, breadth, and accessibility of the information used to make decisions around underwriting, pricing, and portfolio management. The team is headquartered in Armonk NY and will collaborate with team members and partners in Swiss Re offices around the world.
***This position can be based in Armonk, NY, Schaumburg, IL, Kansas City, MO, or remote***
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in a quantitative field. Advanced degree preferred but not required. Ideal candidates will have a degree or qualification(s) in data science, actuarial science, statistics, and/or be an Associate or Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society.
- Minimum 5+ years' experience in a related field. Experience in P&C insurance or reinsurance preferred but not required.
- Experience with analytical tools such as: R, Python, SQL, SAS, Excel, Power BI, etc.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong data manipulation skills for analytics. Project management experience preferred.
- Ability to introduce and drive innovate ideas and processes within established environments. Self-starter who is open to learning and helping improve our business.
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual's qualifications for the position being filled.
During the recruitment process, reasonable accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. If contacted for an interview, please inform the Recruiter/HR Professional of the accommodation needed.