Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization.
Working with the GHD Digital Team across North America, the Data Scientist Intern - Transportation is responsible for providing the delivery of expert Data and Analytics solutions and credibility to our Advanced Analytics team and clients. The role can be based anywhere near a GHD HUB and is open to all students in Canada.
- Create solutions through the use of advanced statistical analysis, data mining, and data visualization techniques ensuring tasks are completed on time
- Designs, implements, and evaluates advanced statistical models and approaches for application in the business’s most complex issues
- Performs ad-hoc data mining and exploratory statistics tasks on very large data-sets related to the business’s strategies
- Prepares reports and presentations that will give insights into ongoing/completed work
- Cleansing of large unstructured data and enabling analytical capability in order to query the data and address various business needs
- Uses unstructured and disjointed datasets for the purpose of independently generating actionable business insights as well as creating manageable analytical processes
- Collaborates with senior data scientists to communicate obstacles and findings to relevant stakeholders in an effort to improve decision-making and drive business performance
- Comes up with superb illustrations and visualizations of data communicating results as measures of the business’s impact
- Team player, cooperating with others in the data analytics team and sharing information and knowledge, in solving complex business issues
- Seeking advice from others when learning
- Coordinating and monitoring specific team tasks when requested
- Documents completed work so that anyone will be able to understand and implement it
- Will work in researching and building analytics capabilities in transportation domain by communicating with engineering team
- Researches open source data relevant to transportation
- Assists in video labeling and building libraries which are focused on performing analysis relevant to transportation
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program (preferably in Civil/Transportation/Traffic Engineering) and eligible to work full-time (40 hours/week)
- Strong knowledge of road systems, pavement design, transportation planning, asset management, traffic analysis
- Able to think and function independently with minimal supervision
- Strong programming skills and experience working with tools such as Excel, R, Python, ArcGIS, SQL Server Management Studio, Azure MLS, Azure DevOps, Git
- Must have completed either academic coursework or MOOCs related to programming
- Academic/professional experience in but not limited to libraries such as Pandas, NLTK, Scrapy, BeautifulSoup, Numpy/Scipy, Sklearn/H2O, OpenCV, TensorFlow/PyTorch and/or Keras
- Good understanding of Dataframe Manipulation, Web Scraping, Natural Language Processing Machine Learning, Deep Learning concepts, techniques, and algorithms with a specialization in at least one of the listed concepts (Image/Video Processing – preferred)
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications Ability to troubleshoot complex issues
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Confident but friendly and approachable
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanisation are made sustainable for generations to come.
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognise achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanisation . GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly ‘One GHD’ across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents – Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.