Data is served to hundreds of our clients and their customers. There is a big demand for analytics and data-freshness, so if you are not afraid of complex business problems, and you think traditional tools are slow, and you won’t stop looking for new approaches and technologies, then we have a position for you!
As a Data Engineer, you should have the expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of large data sets to drive practical insights. You know and love working with analytics tools and can use your technical skills and creative approaches to help clients solve their most critical business challenges. This individual will be an integral part of New York’s Data and Analytics Practice and, in addition to working with clients, collaborate closely with members of the Slalom team who are focused on data visualization, advanced analytics, data science, and data strategy.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with engineers and business customers to understand data needs, capture requirements and deliver complete BI solutions
- Conduct and support white-boarding sessions, workshops, design sessions, and project meetings as needed, playing a key role in client relations
- Design and build data extraction, transformation, and loading processes by writing custom data pipelines using either cloud native services (AWS/GCP/Azure) or using open source tools (like Airflow and Python)
- Design, implement, and support an Enterprise Data platform (Data Lake, Data Warehouse, etc.) that can provide ad-hoc access to large scale structured, semi-structured, and/or unstructured datasets
- Experience with both traditional (i.e. SSIS, Informatica, Talend) and modern (i.e. Dell Boomi) data integration iPaaS technologies
- Highly self-motivated to deliver both independently and with strong team collaboration
- Ability to creatively take on new challenges and work outside comfort zone
- Strong written and oral communications along with presentation and interpersonal skills
- Deliver transformative solutions to clients that are aligned to industry best practices and provide thought leadership in data architecture and engineering space
What You’ll Bring
- 5+ years of experience in using SQL and databases in a business environment
- 5+ years of experience in custom ETL/ELT design, implementation, and maintenance
- Experience with schema design and data modeling
- Experience applying data architecture or engineering to solve real-world business problems
- Experience with building integration and ingestion frameworks leveraging API based tools and platforms (i.e. Dell Boomi)
- Manipulating/mining data from database tables (i.e. SQL Server, Redshift, Oracle)
- SQL, ETL/ELT optimization, and analytics tools experience (i.e. R, HiveQL)
- Prior implementation experience in building both batch and real-time/near real-time data ingestion frameworks using technologies like Kafka, AWS Kinesis etc.
Nice to Have but not Required
- Previous management consulting experience
- Implementation experience with various technologies under Hadoop eco-system (HDFS, Hive, HBase, Sqoop, Pig, Presto etc.) and Spark (PySpark preferred)
- Experience with designing digital data platforms leveraging clickstream data from Adobe Analytics (Omniture/SiteCatalyst) or Google Analytics
- Experience in languages such as Python and Spark
- Experience working in Agile Scrum teams
- Linux and Windows proficiency
Slalom is a modern consulting firm focused on strategy, technology, and business transformation. In 39 markets around the world, Slalom's teams have autonomy to move fast and do what's right. They are backed by regional innovation hubs, a global culture of collaboration, and partnerships with the world's top technology providers. Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Seattle, Slalom has organically grown to over 8,000 employees. Slalom has been named one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For five years running and is regularly recognized by employees as a best place to work. Learn more at slalom.com.
Slalom prides itself on helping team members thrive in their work and life. As a result, Slalom is proud it invest in benefits that include: meaningful time off and paid holidays, parental leave, 401(k) with a match, a range of choices for highly subsidized health, dental, & vision coverage, adoption and fertility assistance, and short/long-term disability. We also offer additional benefits such as a yearly $350 reimbursement account for any well-being related expenses as well as discounted home, auto, and pet insurance.
Slalom is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.