We’re BCG Digital Ventures. Adventure awaits you.
We are an ever-growing global team of the world’s most remarkable entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, venture architects, product experts and investors. Our ventures create a strategic advantage for the most important global companies.
We are searching for an experienced and passionate Lead Data Scientist with a wide range of expertise in data structures, analysis, and visualization. This individual will lead the data science team of a new organization whose mission is to elevate data, tools and insights via its world-class Black Wealth Data Platform. The platform sits at the intersection of data science, technology, and public and social policy and aims to support those, in both the public and private sector, working towards achieving racial wealth equity. The primary objectives of the organization are to:
- Increase access to data around Black wealth
- Foster engagement amongst those who are working to address issues related to Black wealth
- Promote research and materials with information related to Black wealth
- Enable the better design, implementation, and impact measurement of interventions that aim to increase Black wealth
This start-up organization will be incubated in a national nonprofit based in Washington D.C., generously supported by a global foundation with an initial investment of $20M.
The Lead Data Scientist will work in collaboration with data scientists, data engineers, research analysts to help equip communities and change agents with data and analysis tools. This individual will lead a team to create new data sets, produce novel analyses, advise public, private, and non-profit sector partners, and integrate existing data sets to the platform to empower nonpartisan, evidence-based decisions. Our ideal candidate will have a keen interest in social and economic policy issues and the role of data in advancing racial equity. We will look for a demonstrated commitment towards racial economic justice and equity.
- Champion the responsible use of data and analysis – fairness, accountability, and transparency - in the mission of advancing racial wealth equity
- Manage and lead a team of at 1-3 data scientists and engineers in research, design, implementation, and deployment of full-stack scalable data analytics to address challenging issues regarding black wealth
- Support quantitative analysis on data to support creation of racial wealth equity insights
- Clean and format quantitative data for analysis and manipulation
- Build cutting-edge data products and pipelines to produce novel datasets that can help tackle pressing issues from new angles
- Build systems and processes to collect, analyze, and combine multiple sources of data in novel ways
- Ensure that BWDC adopts best-in-class processes and techniques for statistical analyses and modeling
- Assist in authoring papers, blogs, visualizations, and other dissemination materials
- Provide advanced expertise on statistical and mathematical concepts
- Enforce the organizations data security and data governance processes to ensure the safe and responsible handling of internal and product related data
- Work with technical stakeholders and clearly translate and communicate complex concepts for non-technical audiences
- 5 years of experience in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Public Policy, or a related field
- At least 3 years of analytics and programming experience in a professional or academic environment
- At least 2 years of management experience
- Experience or familiarity conducing analysis of economic data is preferred
- Experience navigating and managing deadlines in a high-volume, high-pace data collection industry, government, or academia
- Comfort working with a variety of data types such as unstructured text, images and video to surveys and time series statistics
- Working knowledge of agile development methodologies
- Demonstrated proficiency working with data collection, processing, and analysis in Python, R, GeoPandas, NumPy, Seaborn, or Scikit-Learn
- Practical knowledge of ETL processes to manipulate, clean and transform messy data with the aim of process automation
- Experience with cloud computing technologies, big data platforms
- Experience applying data science methods (e.g., machine learning, natural language processing and web scraping)
- Desirable: Experience with modern data engineering tools and architectures such as BigQuery, AirFlow, AirByte, dbt, and Metabase
Mindset and Mission Alignment
- Entrepreneurial leadership, strategic, collaborative, and creative thinking
- Ability to ensure the confidentiality of sensitive information and thrive in a fast-paced, intellectually demanding and service-oriented environment
To learn more, visit us at bcgdv.com
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.