WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. Why? Because our pets make us better humans, and we owe them the best possible care. As the premier partner to a new generation of pet parents, we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people's confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
Kinship is a coalition that includes:
- Adopt-a-Pet, the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Our world-leading Wisdom Panel™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- The award-winning Whistle™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- VETINSIGHT™ which gives modern pet parents the veterinary and wellness guidance needed to make smarter, more informed health decision for their pets.
- The Wildest, the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend, our recently-launched marketplace for all your pet's people
- PetStory, our platform that curates top services for pet parents in Russia
- FluffyGo, the mobile-first platform is a one-stop solution for science-minded pet parents in China
- LEAP VENTURE STUDIO, our accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Together, these teams and more work to set new standards in pet care. And, as a part of Mars Petcare, they work to create a better world for pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
Pet Insight is a team of data scientists and engineers, life scientist and veterinarians, and other technologists that have partnered with Whistle Labs - the premier pet care IoT technology, Banfield Pet Hospital - the largest general veterinary practice in the United States, and pet owners - citizen scientists, to conduct the largest population health study in pet care.
The Pet Insight Project has been built fresh, from the ground up, with modern best-in-class technologies. In a short time, our small team (with the support of the larger Kinship and Whistle teams) has created a brand-new system, built around our unique machine learning algorithms that have been trained and validated on an unmatched volume of real-world data. While there's plenty of work left to be done, we are building out and scaling up, and our system is already helping us to understand the life of a pet on a second-by-second basis, in a level of detail never explored before. We're looking for an expert in creating and training data-driven models to lead the extension of our current technologies and develop new and innovative ways that ML can help improve the lives of pets. As part of our small team of like-minded data scientists, you'll also help deploy these models to production to help process time-series sensor data, classify images, label sounds, or even help understand videos depending on the specific use case.
HOW YOU'LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
The work you'll do here is critically important because pets can't talk, they can't tell you when they're not feeling well or need something. The Pet Insight team gives pets a voice and empower pet parents to improve the quality of life for the pets they love so much.
Pet Insight is using artificial intelligence to develop advanced deep learning models (see FilterNet https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/20/9/2498) to uncover important links between pet behaviors, activity, and health.
This understanding is critical to telling a more complete health story and empowering pet owners to better care for the animals they love. Pet Insight's algorithms are integrated as key product features in Kinship's services to enable a very personalized experience for the pet owner, creating earlier awareness around pet needs, stimulating better decision-making, and accelerating the growth of core pet care products.
It also has the power to transform conventional veterinary medicine, by moving the profession beyond generally accepted practice to a whole new level of personalized care driven by objective, evidence-based, precision-medicine.
Your job will be to leverage our one-of-a-kind dataset to help shape and build applications that use machine learning models to help improve the lives of pets by:
- Conducting experiments to investigate the feasibility of new product features for improving pet health and happiness using machine learning, retrospective analyses, behavioral data, and medical records.
- Leading development and statistical design of new product features, from early exploration through commercial deployment.
- Designing user surveys, collecting survey data, and analyzing survey responses to better understand and improve our statistical models.
- Developing, implementing, and deploying machine learning models that leverage our unique combination of behavior data and medical record data to detect and alert owners to potential health problems using changes in the pets' behaviors.
- Managing and collaborating with data science contractors.
- Performing statistical analysis on the outputs of machine learning models to help update, re-train, and re-deploy new ML models to improve the overall data processing pipeline.
- Improve and extend machine learning models used to predict a dog's behavior from sensor-based time-series data. (See more about Pet Insight's state of the art deep
learning architecture and behavior predictions.)
- Contributing to the creation, deployment, and scaling of machine learning and predictive algorithms in a production environment
THE PRO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be-in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you'll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you've learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
And for this role, we hope you have the following skills we require to round out our team:
Here's what we're looking for in a strong candidate:
- Technical degree (BS/MS/PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics).
- 5+ years experience in machine learning and software development.
- Experience developing new machine learning models and deploying them to production.
- Experience with the Python analytics tools suites (Pandas, numpy, Jupyter notebooks, etc.).
- Experience with machine learning, statistical model building, and hypothesis testing.
- Experience writing and maintaining production level code.
- Strong documentation skills.
If you also had these experiences, you'd knock it out of the dog park:
- Experience working with electronic medical records (EMRs).
- Survey development and analysis experience.
- Experience with machine learning on time series data.
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship