Breakthrough Schools is a nationally recognized network that was rated best CMO network in Ohio by the 2017 CREDO study at Stanford University. Breakthrough Schools originated as a commitment to increase educational options for Cleveland families. In 2009, three of Cleveland’s top stand-alone public charter schools discovered the challenges of operating individually and decided that sharing administrative functions would help them operate more efficiently and serve more students. As a result, they formed Breakthrough Schools, a charter management organization, in 2010 with the mission to develop a growing network of distinctive school options that prepare Cleveland area students for success in life. Breakthrough manages core administrative responsibilities including human resources, finance, information technology, facilities, student recruitment, and marketing for 12 schools within the network. Breakthrough Schools serve more than 3,600 students in grades K-8 and is committed to setting them on an early pathway to lifelong success in school, college, and career. For more information, visit https://breakthroughschools.org/.
As an educational institution, we utilize data to inform strategic decisions that will ultimately help improve our student outcomes, including student learning, achievement, and growth. Reporting to the Managing Director of Data, the Data Analyst will provide technical support in the areas of data management and statistical analysis. The Data Analyst will assist with data collection from all kinds of resources, statistical analysis, and reporting; respond to data requests and questions from internal and external partners; and assist the department on projects. The Data Analyst will also use a variety of systems, software packages, and assist colleagues within the network in learning to use these programs for specific projects. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ensure the accuracy of data and reporting.
Essential Job Functions: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Analytics and Reporting
- Use statistical tools to interpret data sets, paying particular attention to trends and patterns that could be valuable for diagnostic and predictive analytics efforts.
- Prepare reports for diverse audiences that effectively communicate trends, patterns, and predictions using relevant data.
- Create, revise, maintain and share data dashboards that empower stakeholders to make data-driven decisions and assess progress towards operational efficiency and excellence on human capital and operational performance
- In conjunction with the Managing Director of Data, conduct in-depth analyses on strategic projects to identify opportunities and layout recommended path forward.
- Support statistical analytics and reporting of student, staff, and organizational data.
- Maintain internal databases, including the establishment of database standards and mapping, management of source data, and assurance of data quality, including fixing coding errors and other data-related problems.
- Create appropriate documentation for accessing data platforms for analyses and reports.
- Support internal and cross-functional efforts to identify opportunities for process improvements, recommend system modifications, and develop policies for data governance.
- Mine data from primary and secondary sources and reorganize in a digestible format for different stakeholders.
Skills and Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty accurately. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the support of high-performing schools strongly preferred
- Passion for problem solving and expertise in data analysis
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to convert raw, unclean datasets into meaningful analyses and visualizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Working knowledge of data systems and database management; SQL and/or SIS knowledge preferred
- Displays comfort with speaking about data to a variety of audiences with a knowledgeable and friendly demeanor
- Ability to present data and information in a clear concise manner and tell the story behind the numbers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products, including Excel and Word required
- Working knowledge of Stata and business intelligence software required; Tableau strongly preferred
- Ability to work both as a member of the team and independently to accomplish position requirements
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously and a strong ability to multi-task, prioritize effectively, and manage time well to accomplish goals and drive change
Successful candidates will be:
- Self-motivated with the ability to thrive under pressure and meet multiple deadlines
- Highly organized and resourceful, with strong attention to detail
- Proactive, continually looking for ways to avert problems and improve systems
- Outstanding communicators (written and oral) with highly developed interpersonal skills
- Articulate, with a professional demeanor and strong self-confidence and initiative.
Competencies: Competencies required for success in this role include:
- Relationship Building
- Problem Solving
- Priority Setting
- Business Acumen
- Customer Service Orientation
- Time Management, including adhering to deadlines
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years’ experience managing data using systems and spreadsheets as well as experience performing statistical analysis of student and operational data required
- Experience as a user of any relevant student information system and the Ohio Department of Education data systems desired
Breakthrough Schools is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin