The New York Power Authority is making investments in smart grid as a part of NYPA’s Strategic Vision 2014-2020 that is aimed at providing both NYPA and New York State with the most advanced grid in the industry and to ensure that the most modern industry solutions are leveraged to deliver capability in key areas. Improved IT data management will increase benefits to customers by providing the State with market leading management of future technologies, management of enterprise wide systems providing near-real-time access to information and predictive analysis, improved systems management, and increased system efficiency.
We are looking for someone who is very curious, who enjoy diving deep into the material to find an answer to a yet unknown question. Someone who have a natural desire to go beneath the surface of a problem. We are looking for thinkers who can ask the right (business) questions. Someone who is confident and self-secure as they more often than not will have to deal with situations where there is a lot unknown. Someone who is patient as finding the unknown in massive data sets will take a lot of time and developing the algorithm to uncover new insights will often go by trial-and-error.
The right understanding to integrate multiple systems and data sets. They need to be able to link and mash up distinctive data sets to discover new insights. This often requires connecting different types of data sets in different forms as well as being able to work with potentially incomplete data sources and cleaning data sets to be able to use them.Responsibilities
A statistical, mathematical, predictive modelling as well as business strategy skills to build the algorithms necessary to ask the right questions and find the right answers. A need to be able to communicate findings, orally and visually. Experience is preferably in different programming languages such as Python, R, Java, Ruby, Clojure, Matlab, Pig or SQL. Have an understanding of Hadoop, Hive and/or MapReduce. In addition the need to be familiar with disciplines such as:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Natural Language Processing: the interactions between computers and humans;
- Machine learning: using computers to improve as well as develop algorithms;
- Conceptual modelling: to be able to share and articulate modelling;
- Statistical analysis: to understand and work around possible limitations in models;
- Predictive modelling: most of the big data problems are towards being able to predict future outcomes;
- Hypothesis testing: being able to develop hypothesis and test them with careful experiments.
- Expert in analyzing large, complex, multi-dimensional datasets with a variety of tools.
- Accomplished in the use of statistical analysis environments such as R, MATLAB. Experience with BI tools such as Tableau and Microstrategy.
- Define enterprise information standards, guidelines and principles
Education, Experience and Certifications
- A deep understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine-learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, and recommendation and optimization algorithms.
- Passionate about asking and answering questions in large datasets, and you are able to communicate that passion to product managers and engineers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to query databases and perform statistical analysis;
- Ability to develop or program databases;
- Ability to advice senior management in clear language about the implications of their work for the organization;
- Basic, understanding of how a business and strategy works;
- Ability to create examples, prototypes, demonstrations to help management better understand the work;
- Good understanding of design and architecture principles;
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Knowledge of electric utility industry standards, equipment and smart grid data models a plus
- Responsive to customer requests and needs
- Understanding of all data oriented ITIL processes
- Ability to prioritize and plan work with respect to project schedules, and deliver results in a timely manner
- Excellent planning, organization and presentation skills in order to communicate to all audience levels
- Excellent analytic and problem solving skills
- A keen desire to solve business problems, and live to find patterns and insights within structured and unstructured data.
- Analytics strategies and solutions that challenge and expand the thinking of everyone around you.
- As comfortable with relational databases as with Hadoop-based data mining frameworks.
- Familiar with SQL, Python, Java and C/C++.
- Strong analytical, creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and provide high quality solution under pressure
- BS or Master’s Degree in operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, physics or a related quantitative discipline.
- 5-7 years of experience delivering world-class data science outcomes, you solve complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches with your unique blend of analytical, mathematical and technical skills.