Want to join us on our exciting journey?
Volvo Cars is on an exciting journey, redefining the automotive experience by innovating to make people’s lives less complicated. We offer you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make an impact in a company with unique opportunities to grow and make a true difference.
Would you like to influence and craft the technical strategy that helps Volvo Cars to grow and reach our goal of being an electric car company by 2030? Excellent, then we would like you to join our Cluster as Data Engineer!
The Data & Identity Cluster is a part of the Global Online Experience (GOX) area and our mission is to ensure we know our customers well and keep this information safe and secure. We support the rest of the organisation in using this knowledge to serve the customers in the best possible way. We’re looking for someone that will help us craft a world class data ecosystem that spans across multiple product teams and clusters. We have only just begun this journey in earnest, and you’ll be joining us at a time where you can really have a great impact and help us set the tone for the next chapter in our company's history!
What you’ll do:
- As an early joiner in a new team within a highly prioritized area you will play a key role in setting technical direction and building a world-class data architecture based on Data Mesh principles
- Work in a multi-functional agile team to continuously experiment, iterate and deliver on product objectives
- Leverage our large and diverse datasets to enable use cases with direct impact on the end-customer's digital experience
- Work with state-of-the-art data processing frameworks, technologies, and cloud platforms
- Develop in different technologies and languages ranging from Java and Scala to Python and SQL
- Help drive optimization, testing, and tooling to improve data quality
- Increase developer productivity by building innovative tools that reduce maintenance overhead of working with data pipelines and help increase platform reliability
- Be an active member of the Engineering community and collaborate with other Engineers across the cluster
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development and help develop and foster good engineering practices
- Help ensure the solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time
- Demonstrate and champion an appetite for knowledge and never stop developing as a Data Engineer
Who you are:
- You are deeply knowledgeable and passionate about modern data architecture principles specialized in either the Data Lake or Data Warehouse tech stack
- You have extensive experience working hands-on as a Data Engineer developing large scale data solutions in an agile environment
- You know and care about sound engineering practices like continuous delivery, defensive programming, and automated testing
- You are comfortable working both independently and collaboratively (pairing and mobbing)
- You are pragmatic and understand the trade-offs between the perfect solution and a working solution
- You care about and have experience with agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation
- You are passionate about crafting clean code and have a steady foundation in coding and building data pipelines
- You are knowledgeable about data modelling, data access, and data storage techniques
- You have worked with cloud technologies (we use AWS and Azure)
- You are well versed in the SQL language and databases
- You know how to write distributed, high-volume services in Java or Scala
- You understand the value of collaboration and partnership within a team
- You like to have fun at work and take great care in making sure everyone always feels welcome and included!
- You fully embrace a growth mindset, and encourage others to do the same
- You are a self-motivated individual contributor and great teammate with the ability to multitask, prioritize and communicate progress in a rapidly changing environment
We offer our employees excellent benefits such as:
- Plenty of leave to let you take time off for what's most important in life
- Collective Agreement and ITP pensions
- An annual allowance to spend on your health and wellbeing
- A private health insurance
How to learn more and apply:
For questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact Senior Tech Recruiter Sophie Esphagen at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the role please contact Hiring Manager Hawra Moustaphawi at email@example.com Please note that applications via email will not be accepted. Please note that this position is open for several of our locations.
Who are we?
Everything we do starts with people. Our purpose is to provide freedom to move, in a personal, sustainable and safe way. We are committed to simplifying our customers’ lives by offering better technology solutions that improve their impact on the world and bringing the most advanced mobility innovations to protect them, their loved ones and the people around them.
Volvo Cars’ continued success is the result of a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive working environment. The people of Volvo Cars are committed to making a difference in our world. Today, we are one of the most well-known and respected car brands, with over 40,000 employees across the globe. We believe in bringing out the best in each other and harnessing the true power of people. At Volvo Cars your career is designed around your talents and aspirations so you can reach your full potential. Join us on a journey of a lifetime as we create safety, autonomous driving and electrification technologies of tomorrow.