Patra is a leading provider of Technology-Enabled Services to the insurance industry. Patra's team of global experts allow brokers, MGAs, wholesalers and carriers to capture the Patra Advantage - profitable growth and organizational value.
Patra powers insurance processes by optimizing the application of people and technology; supporting insurance organizations as they sell, deliver and manage policies for their customers.
About this job
As part of the Data & Analytics team, the Data Engineer will facilitate the development of enterprise data management solutions in support of Patra's strategic initiatives. This individual will work closely with Data Analysts and Data Scientists to develop and implement data strategies that support the democratization, integration, and standardization of data at an enterprise level, ensuring consistency of business definitions and data quality. The ideal candidate will possess strong technical and communication skills, as well as proven experience in data management, information management, and the insurance industry in general.
- Provide Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing solutions in support of analytics
- Build a robust, fault-tolerant data pipeline that cleans, transforms, and aggregates unorganized and messy data into databases or data sources
- Work with business teams to define requirements and translate to data
- Recommending new data streams and ensuring data integrity
- Supporting and providing data in a ready-to-use form to data scientists who are looking to run queries and algorithms against the information for predictive analytics, machine learning and data mining purposes.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader
- Identifying new projects and opportunities, and the associated data requirements
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in technical societies
Minimum Requirements - Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical degree
- Work experience as a data engineer or in related field, 5-10 years preferred
- Master's degree preferred
- P&C Insurance and Consulting experience preferred
- Microsoft BI Certified Engineer preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to analyze existing tools and databases, and provide recommendations
- Ability to translate business requirements into non-technical, lay terms
- Intermediate to Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Understanding of star/snowflake schemas as general data warehousing methodologies (i.e. Kimball)
- Experience in methodologies and processes for managing large scale databases on premise as well as cloud solutions
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Demonstrated experience in handling large datasets, structured and semi-structured data formats
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Understanding of metadata standards
- Work from home
- Minimum internet speed of 6 mbps download and 3 mbps upload; no satellite
- Competitive Salary / Benefits / PTO
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks
- Frequent sitting
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand, use of telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 11-20 pounds
- Sort/file paperwork, rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the Patra Corp will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Patra colleagues and clients and with external organizations
- Promotes Culture of Respect & Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety and respect; communicates concerns; uses and promotes safe respectful behaviors based on training and lessons learned
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable Patra Corp policies and procedures