Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Data Scientist develops and implements analytics enabled solutions to improve business process, to generate insights, support business goals and strategy development. The Data Scientist also owns and delivers projects of diverse scope.
- Develops and implements analytics enabled solutions to improve business process, to generate insights, support business goals and strategy development
- Owns and delivers projects of diverse scope.
- Works on problems of diverse scope and complexity where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of a variety of factors.
- Strong ability to generate relevant, actionable insights based on iterative data analysis, translate data-driven output into business language, and to make appropriate recommendations to respective business stakeholders.
- Independently provides analysis on datasets of significant complexity.
- Quickly able to develop enough business insight to connect data sources across multiple diverse and complicated systems.
- Recommends implementable solutions to (or in collaboration with) business partners.
- Understands how their project supports broader business strategy, including the core drivers of business value. Able to prepare a business case on the benefits of their assigned work.
- Considers change management in all aspects of their work. Supports more junior data scientists with Change Management.
- Gains intimate understanding of the business value chain.
- Gains a good understanding of the business as a whole, and has started to build a network of people for ideation, info sharing, knowledge.
- Understands the corporate climate and culture.
- Maintains a strong internal network, begins to network with more senior stakeholders within the organization.
- Actively involved in recruitment of data science professionals (campus etc).
- Actively seeks out coaching and incorporates feedback into their work. Provides guidance and mentorship to more junior data scientists. Promotes best practices within the team. Shares technical expertise with others.
- Owns their career development. Takes advantage of available resources to advance their technical and business skills.
- Incorporates lessons learned throughout the business into their work. Engages with global counterparts to share learnings.
- Strong ability to design and deploy scalable systematic process to implement analytics insights and solutions.
Education, Experience & Skills:
- Advanced degree in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, or Bachelor’s degree with good technical experience.
- Strong business acumen, with an aptitude for broad strategic and critical thinking.
- Ability to influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrated solid judgment in decision making.
- Superior relationship, communication and change management abilities.
- 3-5 years of applicable experience.
- Demonstrated experience working on data analytics initiatives.
- Proven record in data science and engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of programming languages and concepts (e.g. SQL, Python, C#, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of different statistical techniques and of machine learning algorithms.
- Advanced knowledge of data systems and data engineering approaches and methodologies.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual thinking with experience with large data sets, databases, other data systems (e.g. open source systems and cloud based systems), data integration, data manipulation and data preparation for analytics, and data analysis leading to meaningful business implications.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of September 30, 2020, we had $1.3 trillion (US$943 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.2 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife /John Hancock , we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour , ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process . All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies . To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com .