One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
The Global Enterprise & Mobility segment at Viasat is changing the game for mobile broadband connectivity; providing digital media, entertainment, and related value-add services to the passengers of commercial airlines, business aviation, maritime and other mobile sectors.
As a data analyst you will analyze data from our systems to help us understand what passengers are doing and what offers perform best. From your analysis, you will provide suggestions on how we can optimize adoption, engagement, and interaction with content, promoted services, advertisers and retailers.
As part of the commercial operations team, you will identify issues and use data to inform commercial decision making. You will create tailored tools, reports and dashboards to give real-time insight into trends and KPIs to colleagues, customers and the wider organization. You will work closely with our engineering, product and service operations teams to design and improve the service.
You will begin by digging deep into the data to build robust reporting and analysis tools. You’ll look for insights, and design and conduct experiments to improve the commercial performance for partners and airlines. You will learn from Viasat data scientists around the world and you’ll work with machine learning technologies to help customize the passenger experience. Most importantly, you will be curious and enthusiastic about using algorithms to solve problems and inspire others to see the benefit of your work.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to learn and apply cutting-edge data science techniques to a unique global business domain and progress your career as a data scientist
- Verify, merge, manage, interrogate and extract data to supply tailored reports and dashboards to colleagues, customers and the wider organization.
- Work closely with your colleagues to identify issues and use data to propose solutions for effective decision making.
- Maintain clear and coherent communication, both verbal and written, to understand data needs and report results.
- Create compelling theories and stories about how passengers behave and interact with our product.
- Define and conduct A/B tests and other experiments.
- Stay up to date with latest technology, techniques and methods.
- Help automate scoring and classification using statistical methods and machine learning tools.
- Support the development of recommendation systems and customer-facing products and apps.
- Strong quantitative skills, with an interest in data and being able to solve problems logically and methodically
- Excellent communication skills and be able to explain your work, theories and results
- Drive and the resilience to try new ideas if the first one doesn't work
- Self-motivation so you can work with limited supervision
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Collaborative approach to sharing ideas and finding solutions
- Experience with data interrogation and analysis tools, SQL and other tools such as Python, R, etc.
- Experience building interactive visualizations with BI and data visualization tools such as Tableau, Looker, and Grafana
- Experience (or a desire to work with) big data technologies such as Spark, Impala, Hadoop
- Experience working with large datasets; particularly data mining, manipulation and exploration
- Experience with data analysis and reporting in Excel
- Minimum education: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, preferably in data science, data analytics, computer science, maths, engineering or other technical disciplines
- 3+ years relevant professional experience
- Professional experience in user behavior analytics in one or more of the following areas is a plus
- Advertising or AdTech
- eCommerce or brick & mortar retail
- Rich media consumer web applications
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic.