FTC – 18 months Dublin Or Cork
CPL are partnering with a key energy related public sector body to source a data scientist for their Data and Insights team, the team contributes to the evidence base to support Ireland’s energy policy development & implementation; performs economic, technical, behavioural and policy analysis & support; and provides technical support to the Irish energy sector.
What will you be doing in the role
1. Work with energy modelling team and internal and external consultants on extracting data from recently expanded energy system models.
2. Streamline the outputs from the models and scenario analysis for a wide variety of audiences
3. Develop ways of soft-linking model outputs with other national models
4. Engage with programme managers to identify opportunities to apply data analytics techniques to get insights from data assets and to deliver innovative solutions to drive operational efficiencies across key programmes.
5. Assist with the development of a new Analytics Service Hub within the organisation to support and upskill programme teams in the areas of data management and data analytics.
6. Assist with the development of key elements of the Data Strategy (
- Build and manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Process, clean and verify the integrity of datasets prior to use for analysis
- Manage, design and execute all aspects of data analytics projects
- Apply appropriate data analytics techniques to key organisational problems
- Gather, assemble and process data to populate databases and disseminate results.
- Generate and publish reports as required to meet the needs of public
- Expanding on existing data mining of the data assets
- Support the maintenance and development of the statistics website, including updating of webpages and of the energy data portal.
- Provide support as required on a range of projects to develop new data, analysis and insights on energy use in different sectors.
- Create business information tools for internal use, using tools such as PowerBI, to allow for spatial targeting of marketing efforts.
Knowledge and skills required
- Knowledge and experience of database design, maintenance, querying and report generation a distinct advantage (good working knowledge of SQL essential).
- Knowledge of PowerBI would be an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of Python programming language
- Knowledge of the statistical programming language R would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable experience of best practice in data gathering processing, analysis and presentation and an appreciation of statistical methods.
- Degree (or Higher) in Computer Science, Information Technology, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, or equivalent professional qualification with a significant aspect of data analytics.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with common data science toolkits such as R or Python
- Experience in designing and developing databases.
- Significant experience of managing large scale complex databases requiring best in class expertise and state of the art methodologies.
- Good working knowledge of Python, SQL, PowerBI, R
- Successful track record of analysing substantial and multi-faceted data and creating clear and concise reports applicable to a wide range of stakeholders
- Successful track record in building and maintaining good relationships with external clients.
Applications close on Thursday October 7th, please apply now or reach out to Aisling on 087 4671309
Please note: You must have full working rights for the duration of the 18 month FTC.