At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
Job Description Summary:
Enablement, Measurement and Tools team is seeking an experienced Data Scientist to help drive key product including subsidiaries like Hyperwallet, Venmo, Xoom, Honey and platform views and visualization forward. We are looking for a visualization expert who is comfortable with data and BI Tools to design and deliver strategic insights to the business stakeholders, The role of the Data Scientist comprises of (1) gathering and synthesizing business requirements directly with key business partners and end customers (2) designing and providing solution recommendations based on customer needs (3) developing and maintaining BI tools/solutions (4) determining the right KPIs to include in the Product & Tech scorecard (5) monitor performance of the business groups using the data in the dashboards (6) delivering analysis and insights at a regular cadence to business partners, stakeholders and end customers empowering them to transform, grow and scale their businesses and (7) applying deep analytics and machine learning skills to extract meaningful insights and learning from large and complicated datasets The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, good business acumen, is passionate about creating innovative analysis to understand trends and identify opportunities and the ability to effectively communicate with different levels of the organization. This role requires business/customer analysis and data visualization. The position requires someone who has been in such roles for 6-7 years, needs moderate supervision with some latitude for independent judgment, while managing a variety of responsibilities
- Facilitate, gather, and synthesize business requirements for multiple, simultaneous projects directly with key business partners, stakeholders and end users.
- Analyze and translate high level business requirements to functional and technical specifications to create requirement documents and traceability matrix
- Identify key deliverables, prioritize task in product roadmap, resolve issues and bridge gaps and groom product backlog and user stories.
- Ability to understand business objectives and priorities to design and develop customer centric solution recommendations.
- Develop, maintain, and manage advanced reports, dashboards, and other BI solutions to track progress of the business and its highest priority initiatives using tools like Tableau, Power-BI.
- A solid understanding of SQL and relational database to write complex SQL queries to test reports as part of backend testing. Design, implement and tune MySQL views and stored procedures
- Implement customized ETL pipelines using Python scripts and SQL to pull data from diverse sources for higher data availability and to create a unified view of quality data for analytics and reporting.
- Drive data logging requirements to measure KPI's by engaging with analysts, business stakeholders, data architects, technology leads, and product development team.
- Identify key metrics, conduct rigorous explorative data analysis, create executive facing dashboards and build business cases that drive decision making and business prioritization.
- Apply deep analytics and business intelligence skills to extract meaningful insights and learning from large and complicated datasets.
- Build, debug, monitor and troubleshoot databases and ETL processes to ensure optimal performance, reliability and integrity
- Apply various machine learning algorithms and statistical modelling techniques in support of driving informed decision making, aid in the refinement of existing tools and development of new tools, and fulfill ad hoc requests
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation and documentation
- Conducting unit tests and developing database queries to analyze the effects and troubleshoot any issues.
- Demonstrated experience managing pressure and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience designing in Tableau, Power BI or similar data visualization tools is strongly recommended
- Degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems, or related field.
- Proven ability of looking at solutions in unconventional ways- seeing opportunities to innovate and leading the way
- Proficiency in using SQL for extraction and transformation of large data sets.
- Experience in database schema design preferred.
- Experience with scripting language like Python preferred
- Competency in Excel (macros, pivot tables, etc.)
- Extensive experience in developing, maintaining and managing Tableau driven dashboards & analytics.
- Experience with Power Query, Power Pivot, SQL, Power BI a plus
- Minimum Experience: Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of directly applicable experience; Master’s degree and 4-5 years’ experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter demonstrates independence, initiative and follow-through. Delivers on time while meeting quality objectives and customer expectations
- Work across the company to drive to decisions, build consensus and bridge gaps. Builds rapport, credibility and relationships with multiple stakeholders. Great team player.
- Must be detail-oriented, conscientious, thorough and accurate
- Must be able to step back and analyze at a broader level, while still being detailed oriented, conscientious, thorough and accurate
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and client service-oriented attitude and mindset
- Ability to work globally and cross-functionally and lead change in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to function well independently as well as in a team
- Be comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic environment with a high degree of accuracy
- Comfortable working in a fluid environment where roles and responsibilities are still evolving
- Good project management and reporting skills
- Ability to facilitate group discussions and run meetings
- Ability to handle multiple projects under pressure
- Well-developed sense of urgency and follow through
- Ability to resolve complex issues and settle disputes equitably
- Ability to determine when to escalate to management and identify the right stakeholders for decision making
At PayPal, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com
Who We Are:
To learn more about our culture and community visit https://about.pypl.com/who-we-are/default.aspx
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of PayPal’s commitment to employees’ health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
REQ ID R0100260