Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus to reduce the cost of remittances and increase safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,400 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
About The Role
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
As part of the Zepz Data Team, you will have the power to ignite change and empower progress through our unwavering commitment to managing the platform and services that fuel insightful and automated decision-making for the betterment of our financial services users. You understand that for our platform to truly make a difference, it must be built on a foundation of reliable, fresh and trustworthy data, and it is our mission to ensure that this is a non-negotiable standard for every user and downstream application. As a Data Ops Engineer, you’ll help build the data platform that will enable multiple companies to better serve the financial needs of migrants. You will work closely with data engineering teams to bring agility, automation and governance to operational processes. Our mission is to build a world-class platform from first principles which will be leveraged both internally and externally. This new platform will enable Zepz (WorldRemit and Sendwave) and its partners to enter new markets while supporting the organisation’s goal of making remittance easy and secure for a global customer base.Technologies and the environment…
We are using modern cloud-based technologies including databases services (Redshift, Bigquery, Aurora, RDS etc…), data analytics services (Athena, Looker, Glue, Databrew), storage (S3, GCS) and compute services (Lambdas, K8s). We use standard data transformation and orchestration technologies, such as dbt and Airflow. Python is the primary language used for data processing. Standalone applications and/or services may be required to provide supporting functionality, which may include additional frameworks and languages such as Java.
We put a strong emphasis on automation, unit/integration testing and performance testing. We treat our data processing pipelines like any production system because if they fail, our users will be impacted. In Technology we work closely with our product and architecture partners to design scalable solutions that serve our customers.Reporting To The Snr Manager-Data Infrastructure, You Will
What we’re looking for from you
- Use code to solve problems. Configuration, infrastructure, tooling, and automation, everything must be solved by writing code.
- Helping design processes. You’ll be working closely with feature teams to assist with the release of new products, as such there is plenty of scope to design processes that fit in with the overall direction but allow teams to deliver code to production reliably and at pace.
- Helping design architecture. As well as owning the delivery of solutions you will also play a part in designing the architecture, how it interacts with dependencies from a logical and infrastructure viewpoint.
- Growing together. You’ll review others' work and happily seek feedback on yours to ensure we build a better codebase and sharpen each other's skills.
What we offer you: Please note that the benefits below will apply to Full-time roles.
- Solid experience in a Data Engineer role with a keen interest in solving problems using code.
- 5+ years demonstrated experience, in platform engineering
- Expert Understanding of CI/CD and DevOps methodologies. You understand the build and deployment cycle of an application and how it fits into a global platform.
- High quality standards: data is messy but you treat your systems with the same level of care as any production service.
- Great Terraform Skills. All of our infrastructure is defined using Terraform and deployed using Atlantis. You should have a good understanding of Terraform and be able to solve common issues.
- Containerisation. You have a good understanding of Docker and Kubernetes and how you can leverage these tools to ensure there is zero downtime.
- Holistic view on application delivery. You understand the use of many systems, APM, monitoring, logging, alerting, scaling to build a robust platform for applications to respond to the varying demands from both external sources (traffic) and internal sources (feature team delivery) in a safe and controlled manner.
- Our Cloud Native platform is hosted in AWS. You’ll be comfortable working with a system that supports users from around the world, at scale.
- Agile outlook. You need to be excited about working in a fast-changing environment. Products, tools, frameworks and processes change, we evolve and take the best bits with us. The teams drive the evolution.
If You're Not In One Of Those Regions, Don’t Worry - The Talent Team Can Let You Know What Is Available For You Specifically
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa.
- Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
- Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
- Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
- Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected..
- Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire.
Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!Why choose Zepz?
Ready to apply?
- Our team of over 1400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview ( https://metaview.ai ). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview. Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.