Are you passionate about helping companies navigate the complex maritime operations, risk and compliance landscape?
If so, we want to hear from you.
Lloyds List Intelligence are the trusted experts delivering transparent and actionable maritime data empowering 60,000 professionals around the globe to make confident decisions that drive the safe, efficient, and lawful movement of trade by sea. Our advanced analytics, artificial intelligence, and industry expertise transform our unparalleled data into unique insight delivered through data and analytics services, news and commentary, and publications.
We have teams working across the globe in data and analytics, product management, editorial and market analysis, technology, marketing, sales, and customer success.
We are currently looking for a Senior Data Analyst to join our global team and play a key role in our success in 2023 and beyond.
Driven by our mission to support the safe, lawful, and efficient movement of trade by sea, Lloyd’s List Intelligence delivers data and analysis at the moments that clients need us most. For almost 300 years we have been the go-to partner for maritime intelligence.
In the role of Senior Data Analyst, reporting to the Vessel Data & Analytics Manager, you will provide first response to customer queries related to vessel data and methodology, complex vessel operations, vessel characteristics and voyage risks analytics, working closely with other research teams to ensure the queries are answered within agreed SLAs. The Senior Data Analyst will be expected to act as a subject matter expert across several data areas, and to gain a broad understanding of Lloyd’s List Intelligence data and products, and most importantly how these benefit our customers. Within the remit of this role is a key focus on deliver on data quality programmes across several data areas in a timely manner and exploring ways to improve efficiency and processes to increase the timeliness, coverage and accuracy of data delivered to customers. You will also be supporting the Vessel Data & Analytics Manager in establishing and maintaining relationships with new and existing data partners. The Senior Data Analyst will be responsible for providing training and mentoring of new and junior analysts.
If you have bags of enthusiasm and a desire to solve complex problems, keen to gain experience of large and intricate datasets and operations, risk and compliance research then this is the team for you! Maritime knowledge would be an advantage but much more important is a passion for data, investigations and research, and someone who can work well with continual change.
This role is balanced working model between home and our modern and centrally located UK - London office close to St Paul’s, Blackfriars, and Farrington with an excellent and a wide variety of services and transport links situated nearby.
- Research and investigate complex datasets, including fundamental vessel data, voyage risks and other related data areas in risk and compliance, becoming a subject matter expert with full knowledge of in-house methodology across the maritime data team, and be able to articulate this in written responses
- Work within the Lloyd’s List Intelligence data team to clean, load and analyse high volumes of incoming maritime data across ship tracking, vessel risk and vessel information; in line with objectives for our COACT data quality framework
- Monitor and respond to inbound analyst queries from customers, be primary responsible for ensuring these are handled in an efficient and timely manner and capture client feedback;
- Ensure customer query SLAs, data quality KPIs and daily tasks are met and suggest ways to improve processes and efficiency working within our COACT data quality framework
- Timely delivery of existing Data Quality Programmes, offering proactive solutions and process improvements and reporting to senior management; work as part of a project team to build, verify and validate our analytics capabilities for addressing customer Operations, Risk and Compliance solutions as per the product development roadmap
- Identify and escalate any data/analytics issues quickly and proactively, providing potential solutions
- Develop a deep understanding of the different customer groups and how they rely on our insight and services
- Provide quality control of research teams and junior analysts’ output, offer feedback and expertise when needed, as well and mentoring and support
- Keep abreast of emerging market trends and regulatory changes in the maritime industry, and competitor advances in the maritime data market
- If required, attend client meetings as a subject matter expert alongside sales and product management, and present to senior management
- Foster collaboration and share information with other in-house data teams, to optimise the quality of our data
What we are looking for:
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in data analytics, data science, business intelligence, consultancy, or research
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering / Maths / Physics or equivalent numerate qualification
- Experience with common data analytics software and programming languages (R, Python and SQL) and proven experience in analysing complex data sets
- Experience of working with Big Data would be advantageous as is the ability to manipulate, model and analyse diverse datasets for use with analytics techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good command of English verbal and written communication
- Demonstrable ability to work under pressure and manage several tasks simultaneously
- A customer-first approach and strong time management skills and ability to produce high quality content within set deadlines
- Strong stakeholder management is required in this role, and confident presentation skills for internal and external audiences
- A flexible, inquisitive, can-do attitude with the ability to manage several ongoing tasks at any one time
- Experience using datasets in natural language processing (NLP) would be an advantage
- Comprehensive understanding of the maritime industry and an established network of contacts in the maritime industry
- Ability to compile concise training methodology and to simplify the complex, and to tailor your delivery to all types of audiences is desirable
- Direct customer interactions, in a B2B environment
- Experience from an online solution, analytics and subscription business
- Innovative and dynamic approach to problem-solving and proven success in implementing data, research and content improvements
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues or peers, and delivering technical training would be highly advantageous
Our Promise to You – Company Benefits
- 25 Days Holiday rising to 27 after 2 years’ service and a day off for your birthday
- Work anywhere policy (up to 4 weeks per year, subject to approval)
- Life Assurance for 4 x Salary
- Company pension scheme: employee contribution of 5% basic salary, matched by an employer contribution of 5%
- Up to 4 Days Paid Volunteering
- Healthy Lifestyle Subsidy up to £250
- Enhanced Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity, Shared Parental Leave)
- Flexible benefits including Private Healthcare Plan and Dental Insurance
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most, but not all of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need!
We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under federal, state or local law.
Please let us know of any adjustments we need to make for you to show us your best self.