The focus of this Principal Machine Learning Engineer role is to be Suncorp’s pre-eminent technical engineer. This person would have a leading role in designing and delivering technically difficult Data Science and AI initiatives that produce significant business value.
The accountability around delivering solutions will span between being a single contributor in some instances and leading a small team which may be onshore or offshore in other instances. The mode of delivery spans across a simple prototype through to a pilot affecting real business outcomes through to a fully industrialised and scaled data science asset embedded in key business processes.
The role also has a significant accountability in the team’s mission to support the broader Data Science & AI community through being a recognised thought leader that brings best practice thinking to the Group, and communicates influentially with key business stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Delivery of key Data Science & AI Initiatives. This role will work on high impact use-cases across the Suncorp Group. Rather than focussing on a single business unit, the role will get involved in the most pressing needs across the Group. Over time this will include use-cases like Intelligent Process Automation and AI-enabled decision support for instance to reduce fraud & optimally control costs in our Insurance and Banking businesses. It will also include opportunities to improve the way we interact with our customers across all Suncorp products and channels through building up our capability in AI-orchestrated Customer Experience Management (aka “Next Best Conversation” / “Customer Engagement Engines”).
- Thought leadership. The Principal Machine Learning Engineer will also be expected to bring in the best of external Data Science and AI thinking as it emerges, and be a source of guidance to others in the Data Science technical job family. The individual will therefore need to have superior communication skills to be able to span differing audiences such as the most technical PhD developers through to Senior Executives.
- We will also be looking for the candidate in this role to have a significant external network in the industry and be active in relevant industry forums. It will also have a heavy contribution into the Data Science strategy for the Group that is co-ordinated by this team.
- Design focus across all Data Science & AI initiatives
- Advocacy for Data Science & AI across the Group
- Contribution to the development of the Data Science & AI ecosystem (platforms, tools and processes)
- Leadership. The role will have a small team reporting to it and the Principal Machine Learning Engineer will be expected to lead these team members with skill to provide them with an optimal working environment and all that they need to learn, grow and deliver great outcomes for the team.
Skills and experience
- Bachelor Degree in technical subject area (data science, machine learning, statistics, actuarial, engineering, maths etc.) Mandatory
- Post graduate degree in relevant statistical or data science related area is highly desired.Membership of relevant professional body (IAPA, IAAust etc) is desirable.
- 5+ years practising in Data Science, AI or closely related disciplines
- Track record of building and maintaining large scale machine learning systems in production. Having conducted research and published peer-reviewed articles in a Machine Learning field is a plus.
- Track record of conceiving of significant innovations that result in substantial positive impact to customers.
- Deep understanding of latest developments of ML systems, techniques, open source and cloud offerings
- Experience with Recommender Systems, NLP or Graph Learning is highly desirable
- Discounts of up to 25% on our various Insurance, Banking & Superannuation products
- Flexible working environment and arrangements; genuine focus on work-life balance
- Numerous discounts with our corporate partners (retail & shopping / travel & holiday / health & wellbeing)
- We offer support and various programs for our people: (Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Referral Program ($1000), Facilities for nursing mothers, Years of Service Recognition)
Suncorp is a leading financial services provider in Australia and New Zealand, enabling more than nine million customers to better protect and enhance their financial wellbeing. With a heritage dating back to 1902, we have grown to become a top-20 ASX-listed company with over 13,000 people. We offer banking, wealth management and insurance products and services through our well-recognised brands including Suncorp, AAMI, GIO, Apia, Shannons and Vero, as well as those from our partners.
Working within the Suncorp Network we believe we are our best when our workforce is as diverse, talented and passionate as the communities in which we live and operate, and where our people feel included, valued and connected. We are passionate about inspiring our people by creating an inclusive culture, offering flexible work, career development and internal mobility, and building connected relationships amongst our team members and with our customers. Joining Suncorp, you will be joining an organisation which cares and is proud of our achievements in being recognised for:
- Money magazine’s Bank of the Year and Business Bank for the fourth consecutive year (2018-2021)
- Creating our Peace of Mind Package which provides immediate financial relief for customers (2020)
- Developing our Small Business COVID-19 Relief Package to support our Insurance customers (2020)
- Member of the RE100 Global Corporate Renewable Energy Initiative (2020)
- Named an Inclusive Employer by the Diversity Council of Australia (2019-2020)
- Employer of Choice for Gender Equality for sixth consecutive year (2014-2019)
If this opportunity sounds like the challenge you have been looking for please apply online today.
At Suncorp we build inclusion by providing an environment where everyone can be themselves and feel valued, involved and respected for their perspectives and contribution.
Advertised: 10 Jan 2022 AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 31 Jan 2022 AUS Eastern Daylight Time