Eastman’s current hiring policy encourages and prefers new hires be fully vaccinated before reporting to work in this role when possible.
Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,000 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2021 revenues of approximately $10.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
This position can be fully remote, in person based out of our Kingsport, TN location, or a hybrid
Eastman is seeking an experienced Data Scientist to join the AI/ML Technology group in our centralized Data Science department. This is an opportunity to be at the forefront of Eastman's digital transformation by leveraging data and technology to provide the critical insights needed to compete in our complex markets. We tackle complex problems with machine learning and advanced analytics through close collaboration with business and functional partners. We push the boundaries on digital solutions by aggressively learning and leveraging what's available. We use open-source tools alongside cloud technology to innovate quickly and deploy successfully.
Data Scientists in the AI/ML Technology group are responsible for managing the full lifecycle of a project, from scoping requirements with our internal business clients to developing and deploying models in a reliable, scalable way. We're flexible about supporting R and Python as first-class solutions and use cloud solutions in AWS and Azure to support our work. In this role you'll be expected to approach each project with an open, curious mind, ready to learn about the processes that generated the data and the processes that will consume your results. Our solutions leverage predictive modeling, forecasting, clustering, NLP, and deep learning where appropriate and you'll be expected to understand enough of how the methods work to be able to make the best modeling choices.
Network across businesses and functions to define and collaboratively execute on business challenges that can be solved with machine learning solutions (this could be a solution to a never-before-seen problem or enhancing an existing process)
- Explore, analyze, model, and present data using R or Python
- Develop, test, deploy, and maintain robust code and models to cloud infrastructure
- Clearly communicate where and how machine learning is being utilized to key stakeholders in the business processes
- Participate in routine code reviews to ensure all deliverables are high quality and production ready
- Understand Eastman’s data and relevant data external to Eastman as well as how to bring it to bear to maximize its utility
- Represent Data Science at Eastman and the professional Data Science community
Practical machine learning experience, especially around predictive modeling, and NLP, that has been deployed to a production system
- Competency with statistical and mathematical underpinnings of machine learning to understand the appropriate techniques to apply to a given problem and then to be able to evaluate the usefulness of the results of those techniques
- Experience with programming in a Linux/Unix server environment preferably using R or Python and collaborating via git
- Demonstrated understanding of business operations is needed so you can ask the right questions and deliver the right results in a way that is understandable and useable to your clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A track record of digging into the tough problems, attacking them from different angles, and bringing innovative approaches to bear is highly desirable. Must be capable of self-teaching new techniques and concepts
Preferred - Soft skills in change management, and leadership are important for getting engagement to develop the right solutions, and delivering results in a way that maximizes value
Preferred - Experience with AWS or Azure solutions stack
Preferred - Experience developing and deploying R/Python packages and Shiny applications
An M.S. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant field such as Business Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Operations Research is required
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.