LOC_ROBERTS-Roberts Ctr Pediatric Research Req ID: 68021Shift: DaysEmployment Status: Regular - Full TimeJob Summary
The Tsui Laboratory at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is seeking a talented data engineer to help build the Infant Mortality Prediction and Intervention system (IMPreSIv), which aims to reduce infant mortality through close reginal collaboration among hospitals, county agencies, and researchers. The IMPreSIv project has a unique innovative position to advance current hospital/clinic practice to the next level in reducing infant mortality and the collaboration between multiple private and public institutions across the country provides strong synergetic efforts. Our mission at Tsui Lab is to integrate healthcare and patient data and develop end-to-end real-time clinical decision support for direct impact to hospital staff, patients and public health by decreasing costs, mortality and morbidity and increasing efficiency and quality of care.
The position of Senior Data Engineer will be responsible for retrieving data from HL7 messages and electronic health record (EHR) systems (such as Cerner and Epic), building real-time streaming data processes, integrating data sources, developing data best practices and governance, participating in graphic user interface for end users such as clinicians and house staff, as well as optimizing data flow and collection across multiple real-time data sources. The Senior Data Engineer will report to the Director of Tsui Lab.Job Responsibilities
1. Stream data collection and processing
2. Data integration: integrating structured and unstructured EHR data, patient reported outcomes, and misc. data sources
3. ETL to the IMPreSIv data warehouse
4. Governance / Best Practices
5. Product ownership: communicating with participating institutions and offering concrete feedback and project requests from the institutions as well as an advocate for analytics from the IMPreSIv development team
6. Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
7. Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
8. Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources (including ground, hybrid cloud, and cloud) using SQL and various programming technologies.
9. Develop data streaming tools that utilize real-time data from various resources to provide analytics and intervention recommendations back to hospital staff and clinicians.
10. Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Clinical, and Analyst teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
11. Proficient at integrating predictive and prescriptive models into applications and processes.
12. Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
13. Make recommendations about platform adoption, including technology integrations, application servers, libraries, and frameworks.
14. Participate in a shared production on-call support model.
15. Be a critical part of an Agile Scrum software development team, ensuring the team successfully meets its deliverables each sprint.
16. Communicate with PI to determine project needs.
17. Attend routine Tsui Lab meetings and ad-hoc hospital IT meetings related to IMPreSIv project
18. Provide code and corresponding documents on a regular basisRequired Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
One (1) Certifications or proficiency in appropriate Data Science/Data Integration/Data Warehousing technology or subject domain.Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Technology or related fields.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- Minimum of three (3) years of Data Engineering/Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing experience, preferably in a healthcare environment.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores.
- Previous experience manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in a Data Engineer role
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.CHOP Careers ContactTalent Acquisition2716 South Street, 6th FloorPhiladelphia, PA 19146Phone: 866-820-9288Email:TalentAcquisition@email.chop.edu
- Must possess critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills along with the ability to communicate well with stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Strong communication, project management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in data queries with EHR systems, i.e., Epic and Cerner systems
- Proficient in SQL and Java
- Proficient in data streaming tools and programming: Spark, Kafka, Mirth
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases: Oracle, Postgres and MongoDB.
- Exposure to cloud vendors and services: AWS/Google/Microsoft, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience consuming and building APIs
- Experience communication protocol: HL7
- Experience with visual analytics tools: QlikView, Tableau, Power BI etc.
- Familiarity to Agile methodology for development