Data Engineer Salary:
£45,000 - £55,000 PALocation:
Palestra/ HybridContract Type
: Band 3 – TfL – PermanentOverview Of Project/role
The post holder will have responsibility for the successful development of technical data and analytics solutions providing quality data required to support evidence based business and operational decision making.
Forming part of the Data Science and Risk team within the Safety, Health and Environment directorate (SHE), the developer will develop to specification, unit test and implement extract/transform/load (ETL) processes using custom ETL or ETL tools.Key Accountabilities
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- To undertake the maintenance of existing and development of new data and analytics solutions to ensure the optimal production of operational dash boarding, reporting and other applications in line with the strategy set by the Head of Data & Analysis
- To develop data and analytics solutions using industry best practice so that the code delivered is running, meets business requirements and definitions, conforms to Data & Analysis design specifications and has the controls and checks in place to satisfy audit/finance guidelines.
- To document the technical design of developed components in accordance with Data & Analysis standards
- To develop to estimated timelines or update management of deviations to these estimates. To raise critical technical issues to the key stakeholders/Project Manager that may impact on the timeline.
- Working with their data science and risk team members, to undertake and support unit and regression testing of the codebase to ensure it can be delivered and meets business/operational requirements and can be run in a system testing environment.
- To undertake fixes to the code, where necessary. To undertake performance tuning of where required.
- To participate and contribute fully in quality assurance design walk-throughs of developed technical components with colleagues in the Data Science & Risk team. When faced with business scenarios which do not fit a standard approach, to collaboratively work through each issue with peers to ensure that the solution meets business/operational requirements and the principles of best practice.
- To ensure that TfL’s policy on privacy and data protection is adhered to in the design of all solutions and that access to data is controlled, personal data is stored securely and is anonymised in accordance with best practice guidelines.
- To provide, where appropriate, user access to Safety, Health & Environment information; and to give advice on information and databases, including training and familiarisation with collisions data, operational or safety log data.
- SHE Data & Analysis team to deliver the business requirements in terms of business intelligence reporting
- SHE Insights & Direction to understand the strategic business requirements
- With relevant TfL areas to ensure compliance with Data Protection and disclosures policies (such as Freedom of Information and data release policies)
- With SHE Business Partners and Third Parties with whom SHE has a relationship for provision of data and analytics solutions
- With the internal Data Science & Analytical Community to share best practice
- With Technical Companies for best practice, new technologies and strategic developments.
- Knowledge of best practice data encryption techniques and standards
- Knowledge of relevant national and international legislation pertaining to the Government/Public Sector IT, e.g. Data Protection
- Detailed understanding of data models and how they are pulled together
- An understanding of Azure and related skills
- Extensive use of and fully conversant with on premise, cloud based or hybrid Oracle and/or Microsoft database technologies in particular ETL/ELT design, development and testing in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 onwards , TSQL, APS, Azure, SSIS and/OR Oracle 11g/RAC SQL, PL/SQL, ODI and OBIEE.
- Expert at writing/reading complex queries, performance tuning & monitoring
- Skilled at solving and communicating problems collaboratively, applying knowledge and technology to the full
- Strong analytical skills
- Communicates all needs, instructions and decisions clearly. Adapts the style of communication to meet the needs of the audience. Checks for understanding
- Proficient at use of standard computer packages
- Excellent writing style including translating technical information into ‘plain English’
- Advanced PowerBI skills
Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Has recent experience as a business intelligence developer working in a large scale data warehouse system within the data and analytics industry
- Recent experience in the latest techniques and methodologies in delivering quality solutions
- Experienced in large enterprise business /data warehouse implementations
- Experience of operating in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines, delivering to time, budget, and quality
- Detailed experience of developing and supporting queries on databases that contain Financial, Operational and/or
- Customer information which is used by many business groups
- Exp with the Data Protection Act and Data Security Mgrs
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 5 th February 2023 @ 23:59
- Please apply using your CV and a one page covering letter. Word format preferred and do not include any photographs or images
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel
NPL members of staff are not
eligible to apply to secondment opportunities.
We will make every effort to give you as much notice as possible, however some interviews/assessments could be organised at short notice.
We may close this advert early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.Organisation
DATA AND ANALYSISJob