- Highly visible, business critical role
- Opportunity to be part of something truly transformational
- Melbourne based
Working for us
At Origin we have a strong purpose and values that challenge us to find the answers to the big energy questions. Every person that works with us helps us reach that goal. If you bring good energy to Origin, you’ll get it in return. A challenging career. An exciting industry. And the support to grow and explore your potential.
ABOUT RETAIL X
Retail X is the strategic partnership with Octopus Energy that we announced in May 2020. Through this partnership, we will empower our people to deliver outstanding customer service and propositions that embrace a smarter, cleaner energy future.
We will do this by adopting the Octopus technology platform, Kraken, and by replicating their customer centric operating model which is built around creating autonomous teams, a culture of customer and employee trust, and puts the energy specialist at the centre of everything they do.
There is great alignment between the Octopus approach and our Origin values and retail strategy. The partnership will enable us to further accelerate the execution of our retail strategy. We are excited to share this unique opportunity where people can contribute to the future of the retail business
ABOUT THE ROLE
Like everyone in Retail X, your primary responsibility is to deliver outrageously good customer experience. As a Data Scientist you will do this by working closely and collaborating with multiple stakeholders across RX to ensure they have the data and insights they need, while supporting with data-driven decision recommendations. This is vitally important as it will ensure that any impact to our customers is minimised, our Energy Specialists are setup for success, and that we remain aligned to the Octopus operating model.
Key responsibilities include:
- Primarily, work closely with multiple project streams to gain an in-depth understanding of the Octopus and Retail X business processes, and understand how this translates into data, to become a data SME for these streams
- Use your skills in SQL to analyse data and provide deep insights into business performance and opportunities for improvement
- Use your advanced analytics skills in analytics tools like Pandas and scikit-learn to develop models that will drive day to day operational decisions
- Work with both technical teams and end users to operationalise the output of your models and maximise the business impact
- Support development of the RX data model to deliver BI and ML use cases
- Formulate useful analysis from the available data, systems and models, thinking outside the box to help achieve the stakeholder’s outcome (example of this creating a resource plan)
- Facilitating and guiding workshops and group discussions overcoming barriers to achieve a common goal
- Seeks feedback stakeholders and adjusts to maximise outcomes
Working in a small team with a divide and conquer approach, we are looking for a bias to action and can-do attitude with the ability to work autonomously. With your experience in a similar role, you will have the ability to use business knowledge and data to provide actionable insights to stakeholders.
More about you
- 5+ years of SQL experience, with the ability to write complex SQL queries to extract data
- Experience in working with big data, data science and predictive modelling
- Experience in analytical packages such as Spark, Pandas, scikit-learn, etc.
- An ability to link complex data modelling to RX objectives, translating business requirements to data requirements and to present outcomes to senior stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in numeric discipline (mathematics, statistics, or similar)
- High-level understanding of key customer journeys and the associated industry and market processes
The challenge ahead of us is substantial. The opportunity, even bigger. Come be part of something truly transformational.
Origin - Where good change happens
At Origin, we’re powered by people who believe in creating collective change. We’re creating more diverse and inclusive workplaces for everyone because the more perspectives we have, in a place where everyone can belong, the better we can tackle our challenges together. We are united, yet unique. So, even if you don’t tick all the boxes, we’d love to hear from you if you think you’d be a great fit, have transferable skills, and an appetite to learn.
A great team to join
It's an exciting time to join Origin. Together we’re powering a cleaner, smarter energy future for Australia and beyond, always looking for better ways to deliver for our customers – and for our people.
Origin's Retail business is Australia’s leading energy retailer, we provide 4.2 million customers with a range of energy products, services and solutions to keep our homes, businesses and communities going.
As we continue to build a simpler, smarter and more engaging business for the future, we’re looking for people who are passionate, curious and customer focused. People who are excited by the challenge of finding new ways of working, new ways of delivering for customers and more affordable energy.
Origin. Good energy
At Origin, our focus is on getting energy right for our customers, communities, and planet. Because we know it’s up to us to shape the future of energy.
For more information contact: Allison Wright - 03 9659 8120 , quote Requisition ID: 81605
Origin recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples as the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia, and we pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.
Origin’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is designed to help protect the health and safety of our people, our customers and the community. It is a condition of entry to all Origin worksites that employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please speak to us if you have any queries about this policy.