You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.Job Description:
Sun Life Financial is a leading international financial services organization providing a diverse range of insurance, wealth and asset management solutions to individual and corporate Clients. Canadian Group Benefits business is the largest private payer of healthcare in Canada with over 3 million members. Our goal is to help Canadians lead healthier lives through workplace benefit programs, ensure outstanding experience when they engage with Sun Life and equip them with tools to manage their health needs.
GB Analytics team has a mandate to work across functions to deliver insights critical for business decisions, identify growth opportunities and use data to improve health and financial outcomes. The team collaborates closely with Canadian Data & Analytics and Enterprise Services teams.
Reporting to AVP, Analytics and Strategy as Senior Data Engineer, you will accelerate the growth and application of analytics across Group Benefits. You will also leverage practical experience in applying varied data engineering techniques and design, develop and implement analytics use cases.What will you do?
What do you need to succeed?
- Work directly with business stakeholders throughout the entire engagement life cycle including technical analysis, design, development, implementation and consulting efforts.
- Provide plans and estimates for data engineering and business intelligence initiatives
- Lead development of new batch/low-latency analytical solutions that leverages both traditional and emerging technologies
- Design, develop and implement highly scalable data capture and transformation processes
- Create effective ETLs/ELTs to move large volumes of data from various operational systems to dimensional data models for analytics consumption
- Act as principal designer and reviewer for new data models, make data architectural decision, and provide coaching on data modeling and process design
- Expand and grow data existing platform capabilities to solve new data problems and challenges
- Ensure all automated processes preserve data integrity by managing the alignment of data availability and integration processes
- Support quantitative analysts and data scientists with data discovery and rapid assembly of large data sets from disparate sources
- Identify opportunities for new data acquisition and new uses for existing data resources
- Research and make recommendations for new data management technologies and software engineering practices. Collaborate on decisions around the use of new tools and practices
- Perform quality assurance and testing according to risk assessment guidelines to minimize operational, reputation, and legal risk.
- Define data retention policy, establish data governance best practice, and create automated anomaly detection services
- Document and update business continuity and disaster recovery procedures.
- Engage in ongoing collaboration with data architects, modelers and other members to achieve common goals.
- Provide guidance to development teams regarding best practices and design patterns for analytics solutions. Coach and provide guidance to junior team members
- Produce and maintain support documentation for ongoing operations.
- Act as Tier-2/3 support to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with production data models and
- Turn complex data into easy to understand data models that are aligned to business objectives
- Develop a user experience that is simple, yet flexible and enable the data scientists and business intelligence developers that use this data
- Incorporate data governance and access controls for data management and access in Tableau
- Manage and coach data analyst on the team in their analytics development journey
Education And Experience
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Expertise in visual data model design and business intelligence principles
- 5+ years of experience in:
- Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing, Data Integration, Analytics and Big Data
- Cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- SQL Programming, PL/SQL and stored procedures
- Experience with Glue and ETL development is a bonus
- Experience working with Cloud technologies like Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Working in an agile development environment including rapid prototyping during sprints
What will be nice to have?
- Experience with hybrid data environments that leverage both distributed and relational database technologies to support analytics services
- Solid understanding of data warehousing principles, architecture and its implementation in complex environments.
- Hands-on experience with development of ELT/ETL processes in traditional and distributed environments
- Experience as designer of complex Dimensional data models for analytics services
- Experience with development for Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services or equivalent technologies
- Experience with various testing methodologies and user acceptance testing.
- Solid skills in SQL, Python and other languages used in data manipulation
- Experience with Hadoop and Big Data technology
- Experience with processing large datasets from multiple sources.
- Ability to operate effectively and independently in a dynamic, fluid environment.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with experience in relating complex concepts to non-technical users.
- Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely
- Proven ability to lead and drive projects and assignments to completion
- Experience Tableau data sources and organizing them in structured dimensions and measures for business use
- End-to-End development experience in Tableau and ability to create complex calculations including Custom SQL, Level of Detail (LOD) expressions, action filters, user filters and implement advanced dashboard practices in Tableau
- Using blending, sorting, sets and maps in Tableau
- Leveraging Tableau Prep for data organization and scheduling
- Ability to understand data modeling based on user specs
- Experience tuning the performance of Tableau Server dashboards to optimize client experience
- Designing custom landing pages for Tableau Server for enhanced user experience and tracking utilization
- Strong understanding of the economics of the business intelligence value stream and the value proposition of analytics services
- Ability to work independently, manage engagements or parts of large engagements directly with business partners.
- Solid understanding of how to consolidate and transform data to meaningful and actionable information
- Ability to draw out meaningful business insights by synthesizing information from multiple sources
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
Unique Job Requirement
- Tableau development and designing dashboards experience
- Tableau PostgreSQL hands-on analysis
- Tableau Server and Site administration in prior roles
- Tableau Desktop and Server / Site Admin Certifications are a bonus
- Statistical analysis and experience with Python or R prior training or projects
- PMP and/or Scrum Master certification and experience with SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework)
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma principles
- Experience in Group Benefits and Insurance or Financial Services Industry
What's in it for you?
- The candidate selected for this role is required to get or already have special Government clearance from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- To see if you are eligible for this clearance, please review the section 201 on the Federal Government site (https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/esc-src/personnel/pdcf-rsrp-eng.html)
- Competitive salary and bonus structure influenced by market range data
- 20 days vacation per year and an innovative sabbatical program
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Flex hours and Flexible hybrid work model including in-country work-from-home if you prefer.
- A friendly, collaborative and inclusive culture
- Being part of our Analytics community, where we share best practices and broaden skill-sets
- Flexible Benefits from the day you join to meet the needs of you and your family
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security
- Fitness and wellness programs that help you balance work and life and enjoy a healthier lifestyle
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.Salary Range:
74,100/74 100 - 120,800/120 800Job Category:
Advanced AnalyticsPosting End Date: