Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.JOB SUMMARY
Battelle's Advanced Analytics supports government, academic and private industry clients in the areas of healthcare, national defense, environmental, transportation, and energy. Someone in this role is expected to:
- Perform sophisticated modeling and analyses of datasets in order to answer specific research questions
- Determine appropriate methods, fill in technical details, identify problems and implement solutions, and develop new methods if necessary
- Oversee others in extracting data from existing databases or literature and prepare data for data analysis using statistical and machine learning methods
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Participate in multiple, assigned research projects with minimal supervision and within time and budget constraints
- Organize data from many different types of sources and at significantly varying scales for subsequent analysis
- Critically evaluate data for quality measures such as completeness, accuracy, and applicability, applying understanding of relevant research area nomenclature
- Solve unusual problems using a combination of appropriate statistics, machine learning, and computational methods
- Create technical reports and presentations, describing results with tables, graphs, and software tools in a manner that the client can understand
- Present research results to clients and participate in scientific conferences, peer review panels, and increase company visibility through publications
- Build relationships with internal and external clients
- Support business development efforts led by others
- Plan and carry out appropriate professional self-development activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Master's Degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering (with a data analysis focus) or relevant related field OR Bachelor's with at least 2+ years’ experience.
- Expertise in manipulating and analyzing data (e.g., regression, classification, machine learning methods, mixed and generalized linear models, time series analysis, longitudinal methods, Bayesian methods).
- Programming experience in R, Python, and/or Matlab.
- Strong analytical, multi-tasking, problem solving, organizational, and planning skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and adaptability.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance or current active clearance.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Experience with other statistical languages, such as Stata or SAS
- Experience with C, C++, C#, Java, or similar programming languages
- Demonstrated machine learning experience
- Experience either as an intern, a research assistant, or an applied project consultant, demonstrating capabilities in data analysis and programming.
- Ability to write and understand scientific algorithms
- Previous Battelle experience preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers