Do you want to re-write the rules of modern advertising?
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers worldwide while gaining meaningful experience across various disciplines.
About the team
At Roku, Sr Data Scientist leverage Big Data to generate insights that fuel Roku's most significant business decisions. Sr Data Scientist use a combination of technical skills, business intuition, and analytical thinking to partner with business leaders and provide actionable recommendations. Sr Data Scientist are Roku are thought partners to executive business leaders, so communication and presentation are enormously important. Sr Data Scientist do not take direction from business owners and execute on ad-hoc questions, they proactively identify the areas of the data and business that require attention and formulate analyses, insights, and recommendations based on an excellent command of the needs. The Sr Data Scientist role at Roku is a perfect fit for anyone who wants to continue to evolve business domain expertise alongside technical and analytical development.
About the role
Roku pioneered TV streaming and continues to innovate and lead the industry. The Roku Channel has us well-positioned to help shape the future of streaming. Continued success relies on investing in our core advertising analytics team.
Roku is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to play an instrumental role in helping Roku to continue its success by providing insightful segmentation, analysis of platform and behavioral trends, and A|B testing. A Sr Data Scientist need not only have strong technical abilities to retrieve, manipulate, analyze, and visualize data but also excellent communication capabilities. A key requirement of the role is the ability to collaborate with senior stakeholders to identify and build high impact analytics solutions to business needs.
The ideal candidate will have endless curiosity and can pair a global mindset with locally relevant execution. You should be a gritty problem solver and self-starter who can drive programs with the product and commercial teams within Roku and across external strategic partner organizations. The successful candidate will display a balance of hard and soft skills, including the ability to respond quickly to changing business needs.
What you'll be doing
- Use Roku's Big Data to perform a thorough analysis
- Design and evaluate A/B experiments.
- Develop data visualizations that illustrate complex platform phenomena using Tableau, looker, etc.
- Partner with leadership, engineers, product managers and data engineers to understand data needs
- Use creativity to find proxies where verbatim data or measurement is unavailable
- Identify new applications for the myriad logged events in Roku's immense data catalog
We're excited if you have
- 4+ years of relevant experience as a data scientist in technology, e-commerce, finance, or ad-tech
- Excellent command of SQL and experience working with Big Data
- Experience coding in R or Python
- Experience with data visualization platform like Tableau, Looker, etc
- Statistics knowledge: A/B testing, statistical inference, interpretation of data, etc.
- Strong communication skills
- Ownership mindset, you own end to end lifecycle of a product starting from ideation, rollout to post-launch performance tracking
- Academic background in math, physics, computer science, economics
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
Hear from one of our leaders
Or hear directly from dozens of our Roku staff around the world.